Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Aqua mist;opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2001, 10:29 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure most people have noticed how much smoother and faster scoobies seem to run on cool/rainy days and that we all understand that this is due to cooler charge temps.I'm not sure if this equates to anything in terms of BHP numbers but the car definateley seems much more driveable.Now,someone told me that once the Aquamist is fitted the car always drives like it would on that cool drizzly night that we all love. Is this true?
Old 27 May 2001, 05:46 PM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Deep
I’m not sure, but you defiantly need to keep the damp out of your air filter, especially if you have one of those K&N thingy-m-bobs

Sorry mate couldn’t resist it

Yee
Old 27 May 2001, 11:36 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

Ask Danny Fisher he's using 2 aquamist setups on his car.1 cools the intercooler the other is water injection.
Old 28 May 2001, 01:31 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Sam,

This misconception that WI is a substitute for a FMIC, is just that....a misconception.

So is the idea that WI used without an ECU going to lose you power, it depends on how it's set up.

Firstly, just about every rally team use FMIC's, including Prodrive......they also use WI too, including Prodrive (Aqumist) so the idea that a FMIC is a cure all, really depends on how far you're looking to push the engine.

Power loss: on a cool day, a few bhp may be lost with the I turned on, but what about on a hot day, where intake temps soar, regardless of a FMIC.

Ideally, the WI should be switched on when intake temps reach a certain point, or if it's being used to control cylinder temps, via an EGT input. It really depends on why it's being used.

A FMIC will be going onto my car shortly, but the WI will be staying.

Mark.
Old 28 May 2001, 08:25 AM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

mark
i totally agree with you but was i trying to point out is a fmic will be more beneficial at this stage than WI. i know they both serve different things. and as you said prodrive uses both, so this is in my opinion the natural progression of tuning mods. i would like to get the WI mappable system from aquimist myself but its £700 which is not that much less than the FMIC prices at moment. so for me there is a financial consideration on as well.

so i am not disagreeing with what you said, i am just trying to highlight a different angle.

sam
Old 28 May 2001, 12:11 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

deep singh

what you are saying is true to a degree. damp/cold weather help cools down the intercooler quicker therefore you get denser air etc...and you end up with more power.

2 things you have to keep in mind though.

first just water injection run with the standard ecu you will end up actually loosing power instead of gaining. because water obviously does not combust as good as air. so you need some sort of a mappable ECU. unichip, link etc..

second ( flame proof clothing items on )it used to be a cheap substitute to a proper FMIC. however there seem to be a lot of people trying to offer them just now for very competitive prices that there is no reason to get them really unless of course you are running as much advance as you could run with a FMIC and you want even more kind of thing.

do a search on 22B bbs there was a great thread on water injection about a year ago.

i hope this helps

mark
are you still running with the water injection setup or have you got yourself a fmic ?

sam