Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

removing up pipe cat

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2004, 07:13 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i read a post on here a bit ago that said u shouldn't tune a MY01 impreza up without removing the cat in the up pipe as it can break then go into ur turbo etc obviously breaking it,is this rite as i see scoobyclinic is advertising a tune up to get to 285 bhp and im interestd but obviously i dont want to risk knackering my turbo up? any help please
Old 12 January 2004, 10:58 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

From what have read it's true but replacing it with a cat free up pipe may cause also your EGT sensor to disintegrate and destroy your turbo not to say your engine so it's better to replace the sensor with a bolt and put a 2,2KOhm - 1/2Watt in place of it.
I'll try first my up pipe with the EGT bolted just to monitor EGT with full decat and (hope before it fails) I replace it with a bolt soon.
I am also interested to hear more comments from the professionals (say H&S, Scoobysport, TSL, Bob, Pat etc) as they have a lot of experience about - how many EGTs have disintegrated and have they caused any problem in turbo or engine?
Local Subaru service have only one case with broken EGT sensor but it was completely disintegrated at once without cause any problem!!!
JIM

[Edited by JIM THEO - 1/12/2004 11:00:22 PM]
Old 13 January 2004, 08:43 AM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Interesting Theo,yes they do tend to fail after the up-pipe cat is removed but i've never heard of one completely disintegrating.

The 2.2k resistor does cure the CEL light but if you have a re-map (Ecutek 3) i have heard that the values are adjusted for the EGT sensor to prevent it failing so you can leave it in place.

My EGT sensor failled and i still have my cats in place but i believe a faulty batch was the problem.

Zippy
Old 16 January 2004, 10:26 AM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular