Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

VF28 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2001, 04:06 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

If I wanted to fit a VF-28 Turbo to my UK Spec MY-98 and not have it go bang, what would I need to do?

ECU is standard, only engine mods I have at the moment are:

HKS Powerflow Filter
Scooby Sport Downpipe
HKS Hiper centre and Muffler
HKS EVC-IV Electronic boost controller.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 21 May 2001, 05:01 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I think you would be much better off fitting a vf 23! but this would be even worse if you dont take appropriaste steps.

Isnt your engine more likely to go bang as it is?

you have a device for upping the boost but nothing for properly controlling the fuelling at wide open throttle anyway.
It runs rich as standard which is why you can get away with this.

If you start fitting non standard turbos which flow a lot more air at the same boost, then your standard ecu is still going to think 1.2 bar = x fuel. According to your jecs ecu map. But now 1.2 bar flows much more air, and not enough fuel = lean running.

You dont want to run lean on boost .

I would once again (I seem to be writing this a lot) speak to bob rawle at brdevelopments. I believe they can supply turbos to you as well as the appropriate engine management system.

I personally feel you would extract safer gains from a link ecu or the like, and tthen when no longer satisfied consider an alternative turbo. At least that way you will already have the tools available to you to accomodate the turbo and will require only a remap.
Old 21 May 2001, 05:05 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Erm no....

As I mentioned, I am using the standard ECU. Overboost protection is all present and correct.

Thanks for the info though. You are basically saying that a Turbo Upgrade requires a remap.

Thanks,

James.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>
Isnt your engine more likely to go bang as it is?

you have a device for upping the boost but nothing for properly controlling the fuelling at wide open throttle anyway.
[/quote]

Old 21 May 2001, 05:19 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Overboost protection will keep your engine safe at the moment.

Not so if you change your turbo as discussed in the previous post.
Old 21 May 2001, 06:32 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

hi james

the answer is easy. ( if there is such a thing). the ecu + evc vi will manage to control the turbo no problem.

however scoobies run very rich and they seem to differ from car to car even with in the same MY. so after you get it fitted go to your local RR and check your CO level through the rev range at full boost. if it is 7-8%co then you have no problem if it is lower then panic for a bit and contact BRD for an ECU fix ( link, motec). there is no way of knowing which cars will cope and which won't. i have seen cars at a RR dyno runing anything from 12-13% to 9% on standard managment. IMHO a VF28 is not that much bigger than the TD04L you have and the ecu should cope no problem. a perfect example for this is Nito's car which is coping fine with a monstor turbo.

i hope this helps

sam
MY99, LINK, VF23

PS this is only my opinion.
Old 22 May 2001, 07:46 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Don't the Australians also fit bigger turbos and EBC's with the standard ecu as a normal mod? Or is that b*llocks?!

I'd be more interested/concerned in how laggy the car will become with a VF23.

Richard