Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

to anyone considering an exhaust change

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2001, 04:44 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to say, that after fitting the back box and being deafened, the whole system is now on, and the noise level has reduced considerably to a comfortable level. It sounds no louder than the ss I had on before.

I will say, that spool up seems a little slower, as in 100rpm or a bit more, but the pull at the top range is a big improvement.

It is only running on the jecs now so I cant tell you if there has been any leaning out at all.

Fitting was carried out by Pat in ana amazing 2 hours. Bloody impressive given we were using drive on ramps and a trolley jack.

Only problem is a knocking sound, which appears when the system is hot, and appears to be from vertical movement of the system. I am told by others that it is easily rectified with the car on the ramp when you can see what is going on.

Sound is very interesting. Through tunnels it isnt as pleasant as the scooby sport. This seems to come from the bung in place to reduce the volume, and what a difference it makes.

The bung creates a whoosh sound and in tunnels all you can hear ios an intense rush of gas, similar to the sti bb but louder. Out of tunnels the sound is much improved.

Removal of the bung is amusing for a while but tiring. It may yield more power but if anything the perception of increased power, but the lack of feeling quicker gave the impression the car was working hard but getting no further, hence felt slower overall.

Would only ever remove on a track day. It does make it sound very meaty in the yunnels and gets rid of the whooshing gas noise (pat) .

Overall, I bought this as I felt like a change from the norm and was interested in how it works. I am satisfied with the purchase. The 22B has awesome low down ability but seems to die off up the top, this goes someway to pushing the power band up a bit. I will say there is more gain at the top than there is loss at the bottom.

Don't like the look of the tail pipe as much as the ss, but that is personal pref.

Don't know if anyone was interested in this, I just thought someone might find it useful.
Old 30 April 2001, 05:29 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Can I say I told you so?
Old 30 April 2001, 06:40 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Adam,

The whooshing gassy noise that STI backboxes exhibit in the upper range is called restriction.

I assume the whooshing gassy noise you heard wasn't restriction, or pat...

Moray
Old 30 April 2001, 08:38 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Adam what system have you got?

I have noticed a banging from my scoobymania system, I had it up on the ramps when getting new tyres on and it seems to be where it touches a strap or support that crosses the transmission tunnel, I think the support is holding the gearbox. I have no idea how to sort it so I'll keep an eye on your posts.

Andy
Old 01 May 2001, 01:05 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Moray,

I suspect the whooshing is restriction due to the bung which you have seen in effect.

It could be pat, but then I would notice a smell too and he could blame that on the cat.

Any ideas.

Andy W,

The system is the full BPM system with cat in the centre section. I will put it up on the ramps and see what is up with it.