Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

HKS EVC-IV

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2001, 10:22 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could anyone provide info on where the HKS EVC-IV solenoid hoses should be connected to in a 98' UK Turbo? Also, where is the dealer fitted overboost restrictor? I bought the HKS unit to replace it...

Also, does the car have an Internal (Single port actuator) wastegate or an External (dual port actuator)? Or to put it another way, should the switch on the back of the unit be set to SW or PO?

Thanks for any help,

James.
Old 16 March 2001, 11:18 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

The scoob is single port so IIRC switch should be to sw.

Three hoses;

First hose: 4mm vacuum hose with a small in-line filter (supplied) this goes to the manifold, you can go direct to the manifold and take it off the blanking plug, or what I did was take it off where the original boost solenoid reads it from which was on a tee pipe fairly close to the solenoid.

Second hose: 6mm vacuum with large in-line filter (also supplied) goes to the turbo body. If you look now you will see a vacuum hose coming off the turbo body and one off the actuator which both join together with a tee pipe. Pull both of these hoses off and the t-pipe and cover up the hose that's left with some tape. Fit the 6mm hose with filter to the turbo body and the

Third hose: 6mm hose without filter to the actuator which is the goldy/brass coloured piece attached to the turbo via a bracket.

Note you will need a reducer to reduce the 6mm hoses down to 4mm to fit onto the turbo and the actuator. These are not supplied with the regular HKS kit. Also the filters should be fairly close to the unit 10cm or so. Also try to keep the vacuum hoses as short as possible. I originally mounted my evc under bonnet unit to my hks induction kit (to one of the 4 bolts that hold the inlet trumpet onto the maf sensor) and it worked quite well here, I only moved it as the fmic prevented me from keeping it there.

When you program it your stock boost should be entered as 0.45, Don't bother with the self test as this it what it will come out with on a 98 car. The offset you'll have to adjust once it's all in and running and you'll need to play with it a little to get it right. I set max boost to 1.15kg/cm2 (bar) and use the offset to make it hit around 1.17-1.18, the safety cut you can set to 1.25, low boost at whatever you want, mine is set to standard boost about 0.95 with the offset allowing it to go to 1.00kg/cm2, scramble boost on mine is set to 0.05 bar for 30 seconds!

Note that kg/cm2 and bar are virtually identical measurements, about 0.01 difference or something!
Obviously the unit reads in kg/cm2. The cockpit controller fits nicely in place of the ashtray if you don't smoke. I used this setup for well over 45,000 miles without a problem, just keep it sensible by keeping the boost below 1.2bar and you shouldn't have any problems, don't expect an imediate mega power increase (unless your car is restricted) but you'll notice that boost will be controlled much better with less spikes and troughs than on std. Also the unit optimises the boost curve with it's automatic self learning capability so will improve after it's been in for a while.

Restrictor location on my car MY98 was fitted here;

Immediately after the reducer you should see a small brass insert. The reducer just before the restrictor is a subaru part which will work on the hoses that go to your turbo and actuator so you can order them from your dealer. It's a plastic 6mm-4mm reducer.

rgds
Nito
Old 16 March 2001, 11:29 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Great, thanks for the info...
I had a look or the restrictor there, but couldnt find it. Perhaps it is at the other end of the same hose?

The car is definately restricted. It was done by the dealer when I was having overboost problems Perhaps I should ask them and pick up some of these hose reducers at the same time.

Im hoping to mount the controller where the cup holder blanking plate is, hopefully it will fit, otherwise its bye-bye ashtray.

James.
Old 22 March 2001, 01:20 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

James,

How did you get on with the installation??

I managed to collar Nito to help me with mine!! Cheers matey, you're a star!!!

It's running beautifully on my car, although I want to get it to a rolling road to double check all the fuelling, det, etc. Only running 14psi until I get it checked out!!

The boost increase is much smoother, and holds 18psi on the high boost setting, and holds 14psi on the low boost setting.

The EVC is incrediable!! It seems to have smoothed off all the spikes, and I no longer get the flutuations in boost like before. The car pulls smoothly to the desired boost, and holds it there!

The increase in performance is far more noticeable than after I got the PPP ECU installed!!

Why keep the PPP ECU?? The fuelling is better, and should cope with the boost increase better than the standard ECU!!

We went gently with the setting, but the modifications are now as follows:

ScoobySport Backbox
ScoobySport Downpipe
Magnex centre with resonator
Unifilter RamPod Air Inductor
MRT Cold Air Feed Pipe (replaces airbox resonator)
Prodrive ECU
Prodrive Intercooler Pipes
Forge Recirculating Dump valve
HKS Irdium Spark Plugs
HKS EVC IV - High Boost 1.2bar, Low Boost 0.95bar, Scramble 0.05bar and Overboost 1.25bar.

I will get the figure up here, once it's been on the rolling road!

Thanks again Nito!
Andy

PS - Can't wait to get my carbon interior and Defi's!!!
Old 22 March 2001, 07:48 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

James,

Let me know if it fits where the cup holder is located. I started taking it apart (MY00) then realised that you would need to do some cutting as the controller will be too wide for the available gap (after the front is taken away).

It fits nicely where the ashtray is located but is not in a good place for visability.
I also angled it upwards as much as possible using a wedge under the unit

Rich.

[This message has been edited by Rich_R (edited 22 March 2001).]
Old 22 March 2001, 09:22 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Red face

Haven't had a chance to fit it yet... Damn work

Hopefully it will be in, in the next week or so.

James.

PS. Any of you guys going to Belgium?
Old 22 March 2001, 01:15 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

James

Not going to Belgium unfortunately

Will be at the Ring though at Easter

I guess you will have fitted it by then...

Rich.
Old 22 March 2001, 01:21 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hope too...
All it takes is a nice sunny saturday

James
Old 05 April 2001, 09:10 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

James,

As promised here are the photos:

This one shows the under bonnet unit.

I labelled the photo before I read Nito's post, so the order is different.

--------------------

This photo shows the pipe with the big filter, and attaches to the turbo body

--------------------

This photo shows the pipe that attaches to the actuator

--------------------

This pipe attaches to the T-piece that goes back to the manifold. I couldn't use the standard one on the inlet manifold as I have a boost gauge there.

--------------------

The taped pipe

--------------------

Two photos of the internal unit.

Boost settings are the same as Nito's as he kindly helped me install mine!

Hope this helps
Andy

[edited due to incorrect information - Cheers Nito]

[This message has been edited by Andy Tang (edited 06 April 2001).]
Old 06 April 2001, 08:39 AM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just to add to my comments in the above thread, it is worth it to run the self test mode and I would advise it. Andy's stock boost was different to mine by almost 0.1 bar which is why the offset was so far out on our first run.

Brilliant pictures Andy, it really simplifies it. One comment though, in the 4th picture the pipe which you label needs to be taped up, it's not that one (which remains connected to the manifold) but the part on the opposite side of the T piece like in the picture below it.

btw..nice radiator cap!

Nito
Old 06 April 2001, 09:21 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hey, brilliant, thanks for the photos

One stupid question...
In my car, the hose running from the Turbo Body to the actuator has another hose T-ed into it. Cant remember off hand where it goes What happens to this hose?

Also, I found a restrictor in the hose from the turbo just before the T-Piece. Looks like this is the one that Subaru have fiddled with, but when removed my boost dropped to 8PSI rather than returning to overboost Are there any other restrictors I should look for? This hose will come out when the EVC is in place

James.
Old 06 April 2001, 03:43 PM
NITO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi James,

Just tape the main hose that the tee piece comes from up.

wrt the restrictor, depending on which hose they put it in it will have different affects. Hence the debate between smaller hole increases boost or smaller hole decreases boost. On the hose mine was in, the smaller the restrictor the lower the boost. You may find that there is another restrictor in another hole. I'm not sure if that tee piece should have one in, I would have thought it should anyway to slow down the air from here so it doesn't actuate the actuator until the desired delay. In any case it makes no difference since the evc will render the factory boost controller redundant.

rgds
Nito
Old 06 April 2001, 03:59 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Thanks...

Just out of interest, what does the factory solenoid look like?

Is it the brassy coloured thing on the drivers wheel arch, or the black plastic cylinder under the induction kit?

Also, what is the large cylindrical unit at the front of th car, just to the drivers side of the rad, with 3 hoses coming out of it.....

All this fiddling has pipped my curiosity

Cheers.
Old 23 April 2001, 03:54 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All fitted and working well

The controller does fit where the cup-holder goes, but you have to cut a small piece of trim behind the facia, so not for the feint hearted. I cut carefully using a hacksaw, and kept the pieces so it can be glued back in at a later date.

Thanks for all your help guys,

James.
Old 23 April 2001, 03:58 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Hi James - so what did you change since we last spoke?

Cheers
Rich.
Old 23 April 2001, 04:12 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

It appears I hadn't done the learning run quite right, and the stock boost was wrong.

Was at TDI on Sat to pick up my muffler insert (yes it finally arrived) and one of the guys there came out for a quick run and set the stock boost for me.

Dont know if TDI have had a change of staff recently, but they seem a heck of a lot more approachable than they were a year ago

If Nathan reads this (and i'm pretty sure hes on the BBS), thanks for the help

James.
Old 23 April 2001, 06:04 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Nito,hiya.Could you recommend what the boost settings should be set at with a STi4.Maybe getting one fitted soon.(Damn that Andy Tang!)
James H,something must have changed at TDi because I was there about 6 months ago and I've never met a less helpful bunch(once they've taken your cash)
Old 23 April 2001, 06:06 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats what I reckon....