Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2001, 02:47 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's time for an oil change and filter - can anyone advise on how much oil to put in ? I want to make sure I put in enough to prevent it seizing up, but not enough to cause problems with the wastegate solenoid. My car is a MY95 WRX. I know the level needs to be somewhere between the lower and upper marks, but to know how much this is in litres would make me feel more confident I have put the right amount in.

Thanks

Ken
Old 19 April 2001, 04:46 PM
Alex Clydesdale
Scooby Regular

4.5 Litres.
If its like my 94 WRX/STi, the dipstick should have 2 holes showing minimum + maximum when cold, and also a divet beyond maximum showing absolute maximum level when hot.
So fill it when cold, to bottom edge of the top hole.
Old 19 April 2001, 08:01 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

Hi Ken,

Ive changed the oil in my scoobs 4 times in the last 12 months, and had no trouble at all. Very simple job, filter nice and accessible.

Phil.
P.S. My mother thought she seen my old MY93 WRX (silver) when visiting a friend, even though it was still in the garage at the time. I told her it must have been you.
What mods have you got? Still haven't seen you on the road, so i guess, you won't have seen me.(B** SUB).
Old 20 April 2001, 02:22 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Half way between the two marks on the dipstick when hot as a rule. Dont overfill as this causes problems. Also it is important to tip the oil in slowly on this kind of motor as if you add it too fast the oil can go to all sorts of undesirable places.

Greg.
Old 20 April 2001, 09:17 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone,

I'm OK with the oil level once the oil is in, I want to make sure I don't put too much in to start with though. Last time I noticed that the oil didn't seem to register on the dipstick straight away. I had to run the engine first, then let it settle to check it.

If I put 4.5 litres in will this bring it up to the full mark ? If so then this is too much - maybe I'll try 4 litres poured in slow and see what happens.

Phil - I think I may have passed you a couple of weeks back near Gemini in the queue up to the LA Bowl. I did pass a blue STI anyway, unless it was somebody else. My car is standard except for HKS Exhaust and a panel filter - hoping to get more mods done inc 17" wheels and 4 pots. I got the STP octane booster from that place you recommended, thanks, and my Millers has now arrived. No change in engine sound so mustn't have been detting after all. I think Millers is better than the STP, and is half the price !

Ken
Old 20 April 2001, 07:20 PM
Clarey
Scooby Regular

I also half fill the oil filter before screwing it on, to help reduce the initial loss of pressure, and follow gerg2's advice and pour slowly.

Phil.
I know of one other Blue STI but it is a T reg V5 or V6, i think. My old car now resides around the sankey bridges area, L reg silver 4 door with a V5 type rear spoiler, keep an eye out for it.