A few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2001, 12:24 AM
fast_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi there,

Hope you can answer a few of my questions, being a scooby newbie!

I have a M.Y.93 Japanese import W.R.X. which I am really enjoying driving and was wondering if someone could answer the following:

1.) The doors and boot seem to be very lightweight, so I was wondering is the bodyshell was made out of aluminium?

2.) On the bonnet there are two 'vents' which appear to be blanked off underneath. Why?? Will it damage the engine if these are opened :- I would have thought the cooler the engine bay could be the better. Or is there a problem with water getting into the engine?

3.) Considering that the car is supposed to have 240 B.H.P. as standard, and the car I bought has a H.K.S. induction kit, blow off valve, and A.F.C. fuel / air computer, what do you estimate the B.H.P. might be ( though I know the only real answer to that will come from the rolling road! ).

4.) What use are an oil temp / pressure gauge? (which my car also has.)

Thanks in advance for helping with these questions, but I'm sure i'll have more later on!

By the way, my last car was a U.K. spec Toyota Supra Mk.IV (Twin turbo with 330+ B.H.P. with the mods I had.) It was fast, but it wasn't quite as fun as the W.R.X.!

Cheers,

Philip.

Old 18 April 2001, 12:57 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Philip,

I'm happy to hear you like your new car

I'll answer some of your questions:

1. Early cars (like yours and mine) have aluminimum bonnet, boot and front wings. The rest is AFAIK steel.

2. It is best to leave the vents in place to prevent water getting in but what you can do is buy some washers and move the backing plate down a little to allow some heat out.

3. Very hard to say - is the exhaust standard ? I would be surprised with the other mods you have. The cars run rich as standard so you will have probably picked up some power in leaning out the air/fuel mixture. You really need to visit a dyno....

4. The additional oil gauges are good for keeping an eye on the health of the engine and a good reminder not to boot the car until the oil is up to temperature....

Thanks

Gavin
Old 18 April 2001, 01:03 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Philip

Welcome to the board

I own a UK car, but I can answer some of your questions:

1) I know the bonnet is made from aluminium, so I suppose it is quite possible that the doors are too (don't know for sure though)

2) If the vents are like the UK cars, then they are more for show (ie to look like the the WRCs) than practical use. You can use spacers on the bolts to create a gap and increase cooling. If you remove the covers completely be careful that there are no electrical components situated directly beneath the vents.

3) Hard to say - put it on a rolling road. Have a look at the dyno.scoobynet.co.uk link at the top of the page for more info.

4) Oil temp is er..oil temp Not a bad idea to keep an eye on this if you are pushing the car hard. Pressure guage - not sure (not a boost gauge is it??)

5) Have a look at
Old 18 April 2001, 10:21 PM
fast_wrx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Philip.