Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

AVC-R Fitted - Some inlet temp data....

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2001, 08:42 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Just for info if your interested; I have just fitted an AVC-R boost controller to my 00MY (SS B/Box and ITG) with boost set at 0.95kg/mm2 and 1.2kg/mm2 (about 13.5/17.1PSI Both held till 6500!).

It does what is says on the box(!). Boost build is much improved, control is excellent and there are some nice gadgets.

Performance is very strong now! Based on subjective feel - I can carry a passenger and the accel is still better than as standard before - therefore at least 15bhb and more like 20-25 has been gained!(based on power to weight). Torque also much better.

We (myself and a friend with `tuned` GT4) instrumented the vehicle for intake temps to establish some broad operating parameters.

Compressor out and intercooler out where checked on low and high boost pressure - making an assumption for pressure loss in the system - we can get some turbo and intercooler efficiencies.........

So low boost - Max Turbo/i`cooler out: 125 deg (stable)/44deg

High boost - 145(and climbing)/49

So at high boost turbo is definately running out of efficiency map from about 6000rpm upwards (temps rapidly increasing vs pretty stable on low boost - est 40-50%)

All above based on approx 11deg ambient.

Intercooler efficiency runs at between 74% and 65% - pretty good througout speed range.

Heat-soak - any ambient soak in intake is gone within 2secs of moving off!

An estimate with 35deg ambient air (dream on in this country!!) puts turbo out on high boost at 180-190deg at 6000-6500 and intake at 80-90deg. This is VERY hot. I`ll be turning the boost down in summer or fitting a water spray!!!!!

Hope I didn`t bore you! (I`ll check the calcs on Tuesday as Rich, the GT4 whielding friend, wrote them out.

PS GT4 Very quick! Still an `equal` to the scooby despite some comments I have seen (old tech etc etc!!!!!!)!!!!
Old 13 April 2001, 01:36 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Sam,

Readings taken at top end 3rd & 4th.

Temp increases with compressor speed and load and hence rpm...

Once you lift for the gear change the temps drop quickly so I`d expect a bit higher on track, but then speeds and hence flow through the intercooler will be higher.....
Old 13 April 2001, 12:43 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

james
these a very interesting and valuable information so keep them up .

your temperature readings at high boost are these at the biggening of a full boost run or at the end after a hard drive. ie sustained high boost for few minutes ( as in track use).

you will find that a bigger intercooler is probably your best bet here ? but our intercooler is not made for high boost obviously says me who is running even more boost on a MY99 UK CAR

sam