Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What happens after clutch judder????

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2001, 09:35 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys,
my dutch import 00my turbo has had the dreaded clutch judddddderrr for 6 months now, as it only happens for the first 2-3 gearchanges in the morning it hasnt been too much of a problem.
i have spoken to my local dealer and subaru holland who both say that i can get it replaced at my own expence then claim back the loss from holland,this is ok in theory but holland might say it has been abused and turn down the claim.
as i am not one to winge and before any wiseguy says you pays your money.... i am in the position where i can afford 6 clutches over what i saved in the first place, but the problem is subaru uk will not fit the modified clutch kit to stop the problem so if i go ahead i will only be entitled to the same type that is in it already IE one that is clearly not up to the job.

my point is Phew,... if i continue with a juddering clutch and tell my dealer whre to stick his modified one how long can i expect the present one to last,will it get worse,and most importantly if i do replace it would it be best to get a modified on of Group N one from somewhere other than a subaru daeler??

any comments welcome

regards
Dave
Old 09 April 2001, 04:15 AM
daw
Scooby Regular

Does it only judder when cold for a very short time?

If so, mine does this.

There's two zero cost fixes:

1. Accept it as a "feature" :-)
2. Do full blast 2nd gear start with some clutch slip once that car is warm. It cleans off the glazing and the next day you will find that there is no judder!

David
Old 09 April 2001, 04:05 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info Daw, it does it only when cold,so may have to live with the "feature" for a while,as i dont want to fry the clutch with the other method!!!

thanks
Dave
Does anyone Know how long the clutch will last or will it go on as long as a non juddering one??
Old 09 April 2001, 05:05 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Took mine in for a service today and mentioned that I had occasional clutch judder which although annoying I had pretty much got used to.

Dealer said that they like to nip these things in the bud and Subaru now recommend the fitting of the P1 clutch to cure it. Car is now going in next week to have a new clutch fitted.
Old 09 April 2001, 05:54 PM
D Noble
Scooby Regular

well JD as mine is a dutch import they wont fit the P1 part as the dutch wont specify it as they see no problem with the standard one(must drive like old grannies in holland) so if i want one i can have the standard one put in but it will presumably happen again so i dont see any point in getting it changed

regards
dave
Old 09 April 2001, 10:01 PM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

Hi

does your car feel like its climbing a staircase of acceleration on light throtle - off boost (1.5K-2.5k rpm)
mine does...
and gear change is not the easiest sometimes.

couple of time the car has shuddered like my old diesil.
Old 10 April 2001, 11:22 AM
Buzz
Scooby Newbie

Hi Cyril

Do you know whether dealers are fitting the P1 clutch as a warranty solution - mine judders when cold - has been cured largely by a standing start when warmed up as mentioned above - but appears to be returning gradually.

Adam

Trending Topics

Old 10 April 2001, 11:40 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Adam, as JD said, the recommended fix for the clutch judder is to use the P1 clutch housing (this was done on my MY00 a few months back). It is worth checking with your dealer to make sure they are going to use it though. Since it was changed there has not been any judder.

As Dave has also said, there is little point in changing the clutch if they are only going to replace it with the same thing, as it will happen again. This is exactly what my dealer said and was the reason I had it changed at 19K miles, rather than 7.5K miles, when judder first occured. My dealer saw no point in changing the clutch until a recommended solution was found - i.e. using the P1 clutch housing.

Speak to Andy Barker at Cheam Motors for more details (020 8394 2262)

Chris
Old 11 April 2001, 10:56 AM
Buzz
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Chris

All makes loads of sense.

Adam