Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

oil filter split - at rusty seam - never changed ?

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2001, 09:28 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just had a hopefully narrow escape. Driving (enthusiastically) this morning noticed a smell of burning oil. After a while same again so thought it must be me (or the engine). Checked oil and down to below min !!
Pulled into garage and paid £10 for a small top up of Helix which gave normal level, then continued at a reduced rate. When I got home, saw small - 5cm drip area. Looked under car and saw most of the underside covered in oil. Checked oil level again - down to min. Topped up and drove 3 miles very gently to ex Scooby garage. After a bit of a clean, started the engine, spotted the leak, removed oil filter and was shocked to find rusty paint bubbled seam around the top which had split. Mechanic asked when it was last changed - I said 6 months ago at the main agent (bless them) at its 37.5K service. Disbelieving looks all round. It has only been serviced at that one garage for its entire life.
Hope engine is OK. Have kept filter for when I visit garage very shortly. Have taken photos in case a warranty claim is needed and filter deteriorates further.
I naively thought after the JD ratings that I didn't have to worry about quality of servicing.
Stan
Old 07 April 2001, 10:10 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

we had exactly the same problem on a forester it had rusted from the inside and split the seam. we service it regularly and could not believe it.
i do believe that america had a problem with filters as well and some cars even caught fire.
Old 07 April 2001, 10:41 PM
rnr
Scooby Regular

Red face

kEEP US POSTED!!!! Rich
Old 08 April 2001, 12:02 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

The filter could have sat on the shelf for a long while before being used - rust on the inside does not sound good to me - little rusty particles in the oil and around the engine - ouch

Keep the filter - you may need it. Should not be a problem if you need to claim - Subaru part Subaru mechanic Subaru warranty.

[This message has been edited by Paul Habgood (edited 08 April 2001).]
Old 08 April 2001, 01:08 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

I don't understand . How can an OIL filter rust from the inside ?