Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

header

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2001, 11:12 AM
rroberrto
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

To cut the long story short, i came upon this bargain deal on an equal-length header by JUN that i just can't refuse and on it went.

And WOW!!!

Contrary to what i read elsewhere before(e.g. the AVO engine tune-up article), the tuned-length header made wonders to my car. With a previously installed 3-inch catless exhaust and freed-up induction, i thought i've just about removed all the restriction there was. And how wrong was I! The car is pretty much standard MY00 (218 HP) except for the uprated intake and exhaust. Now it revved so much freelier, it's like a pair of choking hands on its neck finally let go. The RPM needle swings so fast in first and second, now i hit the rev-limiter almost on a daily basis, which i rarely do before the swap. Sound-wise it's Jekyll and Hide, before the turbo kicks in like say on a sedate highway cruise it's surprisingly quiet, but on full-bore acceleration it transforms into a group N racer, a nice deep baritone that i would say it's almost like what alfa's two-liter twinspark's induction sounds like at redline, of the same quality but only meatier and coming from the exhaust rather.

Overall i'm very pleased to say the least. Downsides? not any really, except for it's a real pain to fit (took the workshop about 2 hours to fit) and a barely noticeable decrease of low-down torque, and i mean BARELY.

Oh, sometimes late at night on a quite street i do miss the plop-plop-plops...

[This message has been edited by rroberrto (edited 31 March 2001).]
Old 03 April 2001, 02:20 AM
rroberrto
Scooby Regular

Chan,

actually i havn't noticed a shorter turbo spool up time, but the power increase once the turbo does spool up is awesome, which extends all the way up to the 7000 rev limit effortlessly; i remember someone used to say that equal length headers increase power but deosnt improve spool up because the piping are actually longer than the original setup meaning a longer path for the exhaust gas to travel before reaching the turbo, i wonder if that's right but it does sound reasonable...

anyone care to comment on that?

Roberto
Old 05 April 2001, 05:53 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Whoops.

[This message has been edited by MorayMackenzie (edited 05 April 2001).]