Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Does yours whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2001, 09:34 PM
MarkF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just added a Scoobysport downpipe to my 93 WRX. I already had a Magnex centre pipe with resonator and Milltek backbox. the increase in performance and noise is amazing! The thing is there seems to be a really loud whistle at lower revs other than the spool-up of the turbo. Everything is fitted correctly and there are no leaks in the system. To try and overcome this I have even replaced the resonator under the inner wing. Has anyone else found this or is it "just my car". Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 22 February 2001, 09:51 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mark,

Only if I blow REALLY hard, oops I must remember to read the full post not just the title

Well, you're not alone.

You know I've got a full SS. On part throttle at low revs (2k) I get a whistle which dosen't sound like the normal turbo whistle but I think it is the turbo coz its throttle dependent, if I lift off it goes and if I use full throttle I get the normal whistle.

Engage pee taking mode

Just refit your old filter and backbox, that should stop you hearing the whistle Better to hear Radio Classic FM

DaveW

[This message has been edited by DaveW (edited 22 February 2001).]
Old 22 February 2001, 11:49 PM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Pete (ScoobySport) if you are on the board,

Daft question probably but I've got an STi5 Type R. Had a Scooby Sport BackBox fitted by yourselves in November.

Audibly car sounds much better, feels to have a little more torque at lower revs. Get the ocational pop on lift off as the air gets sucked back into the exhaust - adds to the acoustics.

1. Would I see any benefits from changing the centre section or downpipe ?

2. What are the "rules" on the removal of cats. I know people keep saying, "put it in the garage and at MOT time.....", but I really can't be bothered. I would rather fit a "legal" system.... or is there no benefit unless you go "all the way!" ?

3. Any risks to the engine in fitting a new centre or downpipe or both ? Deting etc...

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Scott.
Old 23 February 2001, 09:48 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

The whistle at low revs is the turbo. The old downpipe and cat stopped you hearing it.

STi gas emmision limits are not held on the discs issued to MOT stations. When I had my RA tested, the tester rang the "Ministry" and was told that imports had to be tested as NON catalyst cars. This allows so much on the emmisions that a 20 year bus would pass.

The important thing is to make sure that the tester knows it is a Subaru WRX/STi and not an Impreza.
Old 23 February 2001, 10:21 AM
Sonic Boom
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pete,

Cheers for the info... In that case, could be tempted to change the remaining two components on the STi5 R.

Any info on the other two questions, will I see a benefit on an STi5 Type R, and are there any issues - such as ECU remap needed etc... or any potential issues ?

Cheers,
Scott.
Old 03 April 2001, 06:09 PM
Berkeley
Scooby Newbie

Question

I also have this whisling noise since downpipe (different to the turbo whistle since Induction Kit) My whistling sounds restricted, the noise is not constant like normal spooling, more like it is missing? Anyone?
Old 03 April 2001, 07:33 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Pete, that soooooooooooo is the information that I wanted to hear as my WRX seems to have come straight off of the dock with both cats missing.... Bonus! ;D

Thanks

Nick
Old 03 April 2001, 11:55 PM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

Talking

Berkeley - Since fitting a ss exhaust, I notice the turbo whistling - but it isn't constant, it seems kinda 'staggered' but the pitch rises as you accel and falls as you decel.
Old 04 April 2001, 07:05 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I've an SS d/p with an STi backbox (v.quiet) temporarily fitted - you can *only* hear the whistling on my car!

Richard