Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Whistling Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2001, 09:39 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've posted this a while ago but not resolved as yet. When starting up I get a high pitched whistling noise from the engine. Does not happen every time but more frequently now. Definitely clutch related as when the pedal is depressed or even just touched the whistle note appears/changes/stops/returns etc. It is never the same every time. Once I start off I don't notice it so much but am sure it is still there as when I slow down for lights etc I can hear it again.
Any ideas anyone??
Cheers
Alasdair
Old 15 September 2001, 10:29 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Wondered if it could be anything to do with the Hydraulic (sp) fluid. Low pressure, air lock? Don't know anything about the clutch system 2 b honest. Idle thoughts.

Hope u get it sorted.

P.
Old 16 September 2001, 10:47 PM
submannz
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the thrust release bearing, why it would whistle I don't know, they can sort of sound like whistling, more of a high pitch whizzing noise.

Dan
Old 17 September 2001, 12:03 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Dan
Is the thrust release bearing a must fix or can it be left to whistle away. Got a horrible picture in my head of loads of bucks changing hands here.
Cheers
Alasdair
Old 18 September 2001, 10:58 AM
IainJBC
Scooby Newbie

Alas,
I've had the same problem now for a couple of months. Been told it's the clutch release bearing which should be covered under the warrenty. However subaru felt that the clutch made be on it's way out as well but would not be able to make that decision until taken apart. Not happy with that as I've experienced no slipping or judder from the clutch so I certainly don't want to chande it yet. Anyway the car was purchased from Mitsubishi so they also gave me a 1yr warrenty. Now booked in to be inspected with them at no cost. If diagnosed as this bearing then hopefully I can claim it on this warrenty or on the existing subaru one, I'll let you know.
Old 18 September 2001, 04:55 PM
Alas
Scooby Regular

Cheers all

Ian
If you could let me know the outcome I'd be grateful as the warranty I have is limited in cash value and would only cover the bearing to be replaced - not the clutch.
Alasdair
Old 19 September 2001, 11:28 AM
hugh
Scooby Regular

To replace the release bearing is a clutch out job, and if it is on its way out it won't last long.

Usually they get noisier and noisier until they make a hideous screeching noise every time the clutch pedal is depressed and then they fall apart.

On the other hand, the release bearing in my '95 Impreza disintegrated all of a sudden with no warning and no prior noises as I went to drive off the boat in Calais. The bits jammed between the friction plate and flywheel leaving me to drive all the way to a dealer in Belgium with no way of releasing the clutch, which was interesting. It was out of warranty and the whole replacement clutch cost 700 quid.

Does anyone know if these 'Porsche-type' pull release clutches harder on the release bearing than normal push release type clutches??