Transmission Locking up when warm??

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2001, 01:04 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hey folks...

I've had my scoob for less than a month now and have come across a serious problem with her and would like some advice please.
It started when I would reverse her. I found that if I didn't reverse her in a very specific way, then I got physical knocking/juddering under the gearbox area. I also started to notice that she physically holds back around tightish roundabouts and can only describe her as braking herself when performing reletively tight manouveres such as U turns, reversing into driveways etc. I have just come back from a break, where she had a good chance to get upto full running temp (130 miles each way) and unfortunatly got very lost and had to perform a few tight manouveres. I could barely move her!! She was not too bad moving off or reversing straight, but when turning as well, I was having to ride the clutch severly and raise the revs a hell of a lot just to move her forward or back a couple of feet at a time. It physically feels like moving with the handbrake on fully, for comparison. On top of this, the knocking became extreme at times trying to turn around. Popped in to Scoobysport yesterday on the way back, but they were running a skeleton crew (1 bloke, the grandaddy of motor mechanics ) from what I could see and what he said, so they couldn't look at her or try her then. Was extremely worried when I went to pull out of their estate and it sounded like the driveshaft had snapped off! Obviously it didn't, but it sounded that bad. What the hell do I do folks????
I live miles away from Scoobysport and am scared to drive my baby....
I was given one of these third party warranty thingies when I bought her, but would rather get the best people for the job.. Any thoughts on what's wrong with her or any other info gratefully recieved..

Thanks again guys,

Nick

[This message has been edited by Mr Footlong (edited 02 April 2001).]
Old 31 March 2001, 01:15 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Forgot to Mention. 94WRX 31,000 Miles.
Old 31 March 2001, 02:19 PM
Sigmund
Scooby Regular

Not that I know a lot about it but iy might be the center diff that has locked up completely. That would make it very hard to turn as the front and rear tires won't turn at different speeds then. That's my guess then. Others ?
Old 31 March 2001, 05:24 PM
PeeVee
Scooby Regular

Nick

I would agree with Sigmund on this one.
From your description it would seem that the center diff has seized. The way your car is driving sounds just like a late type Sti with the electronic center diff wound all the way forward to the locked position.
If this is the case then you will need to get the problem sorted asap. As this will be putting a tremendous strain on the gearbox and driveshafts, eventually causing one or the other to fail completely.

Phil
Old 02 April 2001, 07:51 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks all for your valuable input. Good old Mr Croney at Scoobysport has confirmed your theories verbally as well, so I will be trekking down there in due course to get her sorted....( with a few mods to add in at the same time, hopefully )
As I thought, the warranty isn't really worth
wiping my bottom with, so much cash will be coming out of me pocket

Thanks again.

Nick
Old 03 April 2001, 06:43 AM
Sigmund
Scooby Regular

Smile

Good to be of some help! Hope you can get some of it on the varranty.