Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Piston slap

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2001, 08:44 AM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll get a mixed response to this question David. Some say they'd rather leave it, even when their cars are still in warranty. Others say that the piston rings will eventually lose their seal and you should get it done.

If it was me I would be tempted to leave it seeing that you're out of warranty, avoid track days and think about trading it in with a dealer in the long term.

One final point is that it would be worth contacting Subaru UK about it as they are pretty good at resolving manufacturing defects out side warranty periods. I've read a number of such stories on this BBS.

Give it a go. Good luck!!!

Otis.

[This message has been edited by Otis (edited 19 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Otis (edited 19 March 2001).]
Old 19 March 2001, 12:01 PM
David1982
Scooby Regular

Sorry to bring it up again, but my MY97 car has always made this noise. I have been told that it is probably piston number 3.

Is the engine likly to 'let go' or is it just a noise that I should learn to ignore.

I would have had it fixed under warrentee but I have only recently be made aware of this problem and the car is long out of it's warrentee now.

All advice appreciated

David
Old 21 March 2001, 07:46 PM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

David, speak to Stef on this BBS. I too had a piston slap scare and as long as the car is UK and it hasn't already had a new short motor fix previously, then you do have a case with IM/Subaru UK.
Don't trust the opinion of just one Scoob dealer either. Get a couple of them to hear the engine. If the concensed view from all dealers is Piston slap, then stick by your guns and quote JD power survey's etc.
The other alternative is to get your car back onto warranty with Subaru UK.
YES, THIS IS POSSIBLE! I have recently spoken to some subaru dealers and they now offer a FULL manufacture warranty on scoobs less than 6 years old, or I think, 60K on the clock.
For 2 years it's £500, for 1 year it's £300. This includes green flag full european cover aswell. Speak to a couple of dealers about this piston slap issue, then decide on whether you take a chance via pushing IM or go to another dealer that is unaware of your concern and take out some new warranty with them .

Hope this helps, Jacko.

[This message has been edited by Jacko (edited 21 March 2001).]
Old 21 March 2001, 08:04 PM
KHB
Scooby Newbie

Does my MY00 have this problem?

Occasionaly on starting from cold I get the symptoms of piston slap. What I cannot undertstand is if it was PS then why does it not occur every time on sart up from cold?
Could this be something else?
Old 22 March 2001, 10:40 AM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

I thought I had this on my MY98, so I left my car at Scooby Sport one night and Pete checked it out.

The noise I had was very feint and according to Pete, unless it's blaringly obvious, you shouldn't worry. Scooby engines are noisy buggers anyway.

James.