Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Overboost cut out

Search this Thread

Old 11 March 2001, 11:15 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If you've read my other thread (New clutch while engine out?) then you'll know that my MY98 has just returned from the dealer after having piston No3 (or is it No4?) replaced to cure piston slap. They also sorted clutch judder be replacing the clutch and flywheel. Until today I've been delighted.

I decided because of the new piston to run it in despite the dealer saying that this wasn't necessary. So with 50 very gentle miles gone, I felt like it was time for some heavy right foot. I reset the ECU first (MRTrally method). I then accelerated hard for the first time since I got the car back. I've never experienced overboost cut-out before but I did today - several times. I tried hard acceleration again to see if it was a one off and it happened again - a sickening lurch at 5000 revs. I reset the ECU again and still the same problem.

I then thought about the possible causes and decided that I should look in the engine compartment for a loose hose. I had to look hard but buried deep in the nest of rubber hoses was one disconnected. It was the hose connecting the T piece of the wastegate actuator to the wastegate solenoid. The hose had split at the end and after cutting this section off, I reconnected it. Problem fixed. The car now runs superbly, I'd swear more powerfully than before it went into the dealer.

I'll phone the dealer tomorrow to point out their mistake but what concerns me is, has the disconnected hose caused any damage (50 miles of the wastegate actuator being connected to atmosphere)?

D.
Old 12 March 2001, 08:42 AM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like your overboost protection did it's job well. You should be ok.
I'm always saying it.........people should never remove the overboost protection via chip etc because the likes of this can easily happen.

Paul.