Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

what downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2001, 10:46 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Ok, I thought I better start a new forum, as the other one, well I was getting confused. My car is currently a wrx sti version iv type-r coupe, with a monster exhaust and air-filter.

I have just purchased a "HKS RACING SUCTION KIT" from brdevelopments, which I am told is excellent.

Now, I do not want to change my exhaust (which is a monster), what down-pipe does one recommend from hks, mongoose, scoobysport or any others? which is technically "the best" ? and also what about a midsection pipe also? do I really need a replacement mid-pipe, if I have a type-r?

Please help...

[This message has been edited by ChristianR (edited 25 February 2001).]
Old 26 February 2001, 12:35 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

The reason why I post in here, as a lot more people read here, then in the other forums.

so lets continue with the question..
Old 26 February 2001, 10:42 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christian,

I think you need to sort the terminology first , when you say you have a "monster exhaust" I take it you mean the back box? I also take it that the rest of the system is standard?

Ok, first thing to considder is that you probably have 2 cats, one on the downpipe and one on the mid section. You will pass an MOT if you replace the midsection with a straight through de-cat, but leave the downpipe. If you replace the whole lot (no cats) you have the hassle of putting the original downpipe back on at MOT time.

If you go for it have a look on the Power Engineering or Scoobysport website as they both are very popular. You can also get a turbo exit pipe which is big money .

Mark.

Old 26 February 2001, 10:47 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Ok, my back box is made by "monster" , a jap company, which also did the air-filter, which I am now changing to a hks (which I have already stated).

Currently, in Jersey MOT does not exist, so that doesn't really bother me at present

What I want to know, is which gives the most power? and also sounds the loudest, and possibility of flames? but that is only a minor option, the other two are more important. As I was looking and there is so many to choose from, like hks, mongoose, scoobysport and well, to be honest, I am just getting so confused in which one to get.
Old 26 February 2001, 10:52 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

When are you gonna learn to use the right forums?

Stef.
Old 26 February 2001, 01:02 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Oh, that's alright then.
If everyone had the same opinion we wouldn't even need other forums. WEBBIE!!!

Stef.
Old 26 February 2001, 01:14 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Christian (and Mark)

Two things:

1. If your car is an STi then you haven't got any worries regarding the MOT because your car is not listed in the emissions specs sent sent out by the DOT and as such only has to comply with the vaguest of emissions standards.

2. I thought the STI's only had 1 cat anyway?
Old 26 February 2001, 01:18 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy,

Still learning!

Mark.

Old 26 February 2001, 01:21 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Stef:
<B>Oh, that's alright then.
If everyone had the same opinion we wouldn't even need other forums. WEBBIE!!!

Stef.[/quote]

Stef
Just put everything in the Muppet forum and rest assured we'll take care of it......plenty ends up there anyway

Old 26 February 2001, 01:51 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

so...
Old 26 February 2001, 05:39 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

I am still confused which downpipe/midsection to get.
Old 26 February 2001, 08:26 PM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Question

I don't think anyone is going to tell you which is the best, as it depends on personal preference... Ring Soobysport, Power Engineering etc and ask them the questions. If not just do what most do and have a gamble, as long as its a big company you can't go too wrong. If I had the money mine would go to Prodrive after all, they make em for the WRC's.

Mark.

Old 26 February 2001, 08:29 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Christian,

The choices and combinations are endless, and to some extent depend on the size and construction of your 'monster' exhaust.

size:
2.5" - more torque
3" - more top end power

construction:
stainless steel - lasts forever can be boomy
aluminium - quieter, lighter wont last forever

front pipe design:
Single pipe - Scoobysport/Falkland/HKS give much improved turbo pickup and more torque.
Twin dump - BPM, Scoobymania give best top end power not quite as good turbo pickup, more expensive (not so true with Scoobymania).

THE most popular downpipe/midsection combination in the UK seems to be Scoobysport with either a SS or magnex center (the magnex can be straight through or have a resonator which helps keep the noise down).

As usual these are my own observations from talking to owners and reading this bulletin board, I am not passing opinion on which is best and will not enter into an argument on the subject.

Andrew...
Old 03 March 2001, 12:28 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

ok, I tried to get a mongoose down-pipe/midsection, however they only sell the whole kit, so that is out the question - which I am gutted about as I would of liked flames.... But reading the above, i dont need to get a mid-section then, as i will not get any benefit for my type-r, correct?

Ok so lets continue if that is right. As I am in Jersey, more torque/turbo pickup will be much more of a benefit for me, so a single down-pipe. Now, I already have a HKS Racing suction kit installed, so should I go for the HKS down-pipe, or what? does it give good performance / loudness?
Old 03 March 2001, 12:46 AM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

according to the bpm website,

BPM TD38 TWIN DUMP EXHAUST
BPM is the only exhaust manufacturer committed to specifically matching turbo exhaust housing to the down pipe. Turbos are different, so the exhaust should be designed for that difference. The DUMP SYSTEM is the most important component of an exhaust hence the DEDICATED RESEARCH for OPTIMUM HORSEPOWER through PRECISION TURBO MATCHING.

so now i am confused, I thought single one was for more horsepower?
Old 03 March 2001, 10:34 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mmmm - I have a BPM and am getting 1 bar of boost at 2750rpm with a VF28 turbo (peak boost at 3100rpm) on an STi - maybe my d/p is faulty which is why I am getting SO much more at the bottom end with a 3in pipe

I would go for Scoobysport or if you have the dosh, and an STi it is worth the extra for the BPM.

R

Oh and by the way - STis have no cat in the centre section and if you are worried about MOT swap it with a UK car owner - it is the same the Prodrive Centre section - so they get more power and you get a cat centre section you can keep in the garage for MOT time

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 03 March 2001).]
Old 04 March 2001, 04:05 AM
CraigS
Scooby Newbie

To further aid weight to this debate the BPM downpipe is 200% proven here in Australia with other manuafcturers taking short cuts for the simple reason, it makes them more money.

I also agree with Rannoch and I too must have my BPM GT System looked at since I am on 1.2 bar at just under 3000rpm. The fallacy that a larger diameter pipe gives greater lag is cr@p.

Point is there are a lot more design factors than the diameter of the system.

The BPM downpipe maximises the power/torque by the fact it is HPC coated. Find out what coating the F1 teams really use and you will udnerstand why I would drink the stuff if possible

The seperator on the downpipe is another area BPM addresses, different seperators for different turbos...

All this is not rocket science but it comes down to you get what you pay for.
If you want crap I am prepared to make a downpipe for anyone on this list

Facts are facts and you can't escape the following

HPC aids turbo spool up
HPC aids gas scavenging
A Twin Dump design is SUPERIOR (ask Prodrive)
A 3" pipework with correct wastegate and joining aids torque AND HP if your mapper can chase the gas. You CAN have the best of both worlds.

You can not escape facts and sooner or later the truth becomes evident for no other reason than the true enthusiasts will find the truth.

Craig S
Currently happy to have surpassed 400HP with little fuss.

Old 05 March 2001, 05:57 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Thinking of getting a BPM downpipe for my P1. But should I keep the centre section thats on the car. Are you sure it doesnt have a cat fitted as there is a box there. What is it?
I want a bit more power but not too much noise so if I keep the standard centre will it bre quieter?
Old 06 March 2001, 08:35 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Some 'factual' stuff, as opposed to my usual opinionated rubbish

First of all, Aaron, the P1 DOES have a centre cat, this is one of the areas that was genuinely changed from the STi. If you go for a BPM, you would benefit from a mid-section and rear box.

Christian,

HKS make superb products and I can strongly recommend the Racing Suction Kit, HOWEVER, although I have a whole bunch of HKS products on my car, the HKS dowmpipe is a major disappointment.

The flange is plain, so no additional allowance for the wastegate - HKS will benefit from taking the cat out, but that is it.

From my own experience, a P1 driver who has a Scoobysport d/p and HKS mid and rear section has been out in my car and was literally stunned by the mid-range torque with huge shove from 3 to 5,000 rpm. To keep up the P1 had to be run between 6-8000rpm, utilising all the power.

My car has HKS induction, BPM twin dump, HKS Hiper mid and rear section.

I am also aware of a Scoobysport being datalogged against a BPM and right across the range the BPM was able to use more fuel (i.e. flow more gas).

Hope that is useful!

R
Old 06 March 2001, 09:57 PM
ARRON BIRD
Scooby Regular

Rannoch are you 100% sure.
Only a resonator in the centre I think m8
Old 07 March 2001, 07:55 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Mindless reply made redundant by Mike Wood elsewhere - I was wrong guv, it was me!

NO.

R

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 07 March 2001).]
Old 07 March 2001, 09:22 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

I have the HKS drain pipe exhaust, & Green Mushroom filter.

I asked a similar question a while back.
Basicaly the HKS down pipe is just a cat removal, good & expensive.
I was told to get a Scoobysport downpipe as it give better torque, + cheaper + they can fit it, which is what I have decided to get if and when my bonus come through.

Flames. do you realy want them ??
No cats will help as will a Dump to atmosphere dump valve.

Old 08 March 2001, 05:58 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Talking about downpipes, is the HKS downpipe already available for a MY99? Looking at takakaira homepage it says coming soon but when I called TDI they said that the HKS downpipe they have fits the MY99. I'm confused!!
Thanks for any advice. The other question would be / can I fit the HKS downpipe while keeping the standard middle section? Right now I have a Supersprint backbox with Apex'i Power Intake.

Thanks
Old 08 March 2001, 07:18 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

I have now decided, and purchased a new down-pipe, and also a new complete exhaust system.

so this topic can really be closed now