Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil again - but not for a scooby

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2001, 11:24 PM
The_Gza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Calling on the vast ScoobyNet info bank - have read lots of post regards the advantages and disadvantages of various types of oil for scoobys.

General concensus of opinion seems to be that Mobil 1 (oW40) is too thin for you guys. I am about to change my oil in my 206GTI tomorrow, and have bought 5l of 0W40 Mobil 1 for it (£44 from Halfords :eek .

My regular journey involves a short (2 mile)urban run before getting onto the MWay for 20 miles, therefore I went for Mobil 1 because being thinner at cold temps I reasoned that it was more likely to offer greater protection at the colder temperatures my engine is subjected to before higher speed running on the MWay.

Is this correct or have I got it **** about elbow? I don't do trackdays or similar, and this is the cars first oil change from new (@7.5k). Have I chosen the right oil for my beloved pug, or would another brand or viscosity be better for the type of driving and engine I have?

I have tried using the search facility, but the arguments do seem to go round in circles slightly

Therfore, any help would be much appeciated by a poor non-scooby driver

Cheers muchly
Old 02 March 2001, 03:17 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The OW40 stuff will flow a bit quicker & easier from cold than the 15W50, but after about 20 seconds it will be all round the engine irrespective of viscosity.

The real reason that the 0W40 stuff is contentious for turbos is simply the higher heat / stress / pressures put on the oil, which may make its film strength a little marginal for a hard-working Scooby.

A normally-aspirated car doesn't work its oil anything like as hard, or subject it to the same extremes (up to 600C in turbo bearings -- lift the bonnet of a turbo car in the dark after it's had a caning, and the turbo / manifold is literally cherry red) so the Mobil1 you've got will be absolutely fine for you. It should also last for the full factory service interval, without needing an interim change.