Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Do all Scoobies have hydraulic tappets

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2001, 07:59 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As genuine info on the engines used in the Turbos is hard to find I've used both the Chilton manual and the Haynes Legacy manual for info, however it's not clear whether the tappets are shim under bucket or hydraulic, can anyone give a definitive answer please. BTW the car in question is a UK MY99 Impreza Turbo

[This message has been edited by Jim Dunleavy (edited 28 February 2001).]
Old 28 February 2001, 08:04 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

if you mean a legacy turbo then yes they are hydraulic but if it has got tappit rattle then it's normal. i know it sounds silly but every leg turbo we get in sounds like a bag of nails but there is nothing we can do. you can try a engine flush but this only works for a bit it will come back sorry
Old 28 February 2001, 08:04 PM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Question

I think STI motors have solid lifters...this allows more precision and the ability to rev over 7K. This does however make them slightly louder.

I think most UK spec motors (excluding P1 - basically an STI phase 2 v5 motor)and maybe even the Jap WRX have hydraulic lifters.

wait for a while...a real engine techie will answer you for sure

* cue Firefox *

Ian

[This message has been edited by igratton (edited 28 February 2001).]
Old 01 March 2001, 09:00 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
ALL the early cars had HL's, including STi's etc'. This changed in 97/98, when the STi's changed to solid lifters, with "under bucket" shims, and the WRX's got solid lifters with "over bucket" shims, as did the UK '98's.

I've just been told (thanks J) that '99 > STi's, at least, have gone back to "over bucket" shims.

Mark.
Old 01 March 2001, 09:43 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry Mark

I should have cued you and a few others too

Ian
Old 02 March 2001, 01:11 PM
Shimster
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by scoobyboy:
<B>if you mean a legacy turbo then yes they are hydraulic but if it has got tappit rattle then it's normal. i know it sounds silly but every leg turbo we get in sounds like a bag of nails but there is nothing we can do. you can try a engine flush but this only works for a bit it will come back sorry [/quote]

Sccobyboy, have you had any experience of using the oil additives designed to replenish the seals on the tappets. From what I understand, it is these that harden and stop being effective, letting the oil drain out of the adjusters. I am always cautious about using additives, and I want to find out if someone else has tried it first!
Alex

[This message has been edited by Shimster (edited 02 March 2001).]
Old 03 March 2001, 12:17 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

WE TRIED IT AND TO BE HONEST I DON'T REALLY THINK IT WORKS IT SEEMS TO SHUT THEM UP FOR A DAY OR TO THEN IT COMES BACK. THERE IS NO WAY I KNOW OF TO MAKE A HARD SEAL GO SOFT AGAIN. BECAUSE AFTER THEY GO HARD THEY TEND TO SPLIT