P1,blue smoke from cold

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2001, 10:29 PM
marty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi
I have noticed a puff of blue smoke from my P1 from cold start.It happens more if the car is left a long time,or i have not given it a run for a few weeks.The car is 8 months old.I had a simular problem on my 98 uk spec turbo.Any ideas? i have asked mike wood but he is not sure.
Old 26 February 2001, 01:16 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I know Alex (DrEvil) had the same problem, might be worth seeing what his fix was!!
Old 26 February 2001, 08:29 AM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

I had the same problem with a 98. In my case it would appear that it happened when I ran the car for a very short period from cold i.e. put the car in the garage. However, if I allowed the car to warm up a bit before turning off, it didn't happen.

Obviously a seal was only closing the gap once it was warm. As with you, the longer I left the car, the more the smoke.

I took it to my dealer a couple of times and they never found anything wrong with it either. But once I started putting the car away as soon as I got home, it stopped.

On the positive side, it never caused me any problems during the time had the car.

Josh
Old 26 February 2001, 09:50 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

My MY98 does it. Much more noticeable on cold mornings. About 8 seconds after starting the blue smoke appears, then changes to normal condensation. Enough to notice it lingering in front of the house as I drive off.
I thought it might be due to short trips, but it also did it the morning after a run from Leeds to Chandlers Ford...
I'm leaving the car at Mill Lane on Friday night to see what they think on Saturday morning. Probably be a warm night on Friday !
Old 27 February 2001, 05:25 AM
daveclark
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

Hi.
I have this same problem on my MY94 WRX.
Symptoms:
Blowing of smoke for 5 seconds after starting the car. More smoke if the car was left unused for longer. No (or little) oil used on long trips.

After some investigation, I am pretty sure that it is due to worn/leaking valve stem seals. I'm told that (although unsightly) it doesn't indicate any major engine problem, so I'm just going to live with it...

Cheers,
dave
Old 27 February 2001, 08:47 AM
WAYSIDERS
Scooby Regular

If the smoking stops quickly I think you have nothing to worry about. If you think Scooby's are smoky you should see a Porsche start from cold!

My girlfriend has had 2 Boxster 2.7's from new and they both occasionally produced great clouds of thick blue smoke on startup for about 5 seconds.

One thing they have in common with Scooby's is a flat engine layout. Could it simply be a collection of oil on the cylinder wall? Obviously, a vertical cylinder would allow oil to drain to the piston rings.