Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

I'm scared now - Views appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2001, 11:40 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Hello folks, newby here. I have been sifting through this section's last 12 months' posts for the last couple of night's now and to say that I am concerned is putting it mildly.
I have just bought a 94 WRX w/47K from Windisor Classics, which I will recieve in about a weeks' time. I have no idea where to begin now with getting this engine etc looked at and everything checked out. I thought these engines were as tough as ol' boots, but i'm not so sure now. What would you guys recommend I check myself and change on the car?? I am curious about the oil thing. I have been using Mobil 1 0w40 in both my old XSI and 106GTI, frequently running 7K+ in fifth gear, amongst others over the years (not planning for that in the Scooby!) and have found it to be a great investment. No mechanical failures of any sort. What should I go for? M1 Motorsport 15w/50 or if I can still get hold of it, the Castrol RS10W60? Another type? Sorry to bother you guys. Any recommendations of things to look at gratefully recieved.
1 more question. I am planning on booking her in at Scoobysport in March and asking for them to look her/ carry out any work there and then within reason. Any views/ recommendations on this?
I will be using Texaco SUL in her and resetting ECU myself, no octane booster malarkey, for now. Also, either it is my imagination, or at least my one does not seem nearly as beastly as I was expecting. slow pick up/pull from stop and low revs, regardless of what gear. Normal? Did not want to run high revs(5000+) or drop gears aggressively during test drive. Please bear in mind that my lovely lemon yellow GTI pulls flat 6s 0-60 (Thank you, Racelogic!)Can't bring my myself to do that to a car before I have actually bought it!

Thanks folks,

Nick

P.S. Damn, you lot know your stuff!
Old 07 February 2001, 08:10 AM
cwal1
Scooby Regular

Nick,

Don't worry too much about the strength of the car. On a BBS you'll always get a disproportionate number of problems reported as people want to share information so others can also solve the problem.

Regarding oil etc. Scoobysport will put the correct grade in so once they have fettled it just stop worrying and drive it.

Chris.
Old 07 February 2001, 09:12 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Red face

Thanks for the tip Chris. As for Scruffy. Sorry if somehow I have managed to have offended you, but I am just concerned about what I am getting myself into. If I have asked too many questions or something then fair enough, I apologise. Like I said, NEWBY here.

Nick.
Old 07 February 2001, 10:26 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Smile

They're pretty reliable overall -- a good synth oil like Mobil 1 motorsport helps a lot. As to the seeming slow pickup, a standard-ish car always feels like that until you get the magic 3,000 rpm dialled up. Unlike Saab or Volvo turbos the motor's tuned for top-end, not low-end pull, and all the 4WD hardware takes its toll at low rpm too.

I suppose your GTI & XSI feel quicker at low rpm 'cos of a) much lighter weight and b) much shorter gearing, so they pick up better. Try the Scoob with 3K rpm up, and I think you'll notice the difference ;-)
Old 07 February 2001, 10:26 AM
Yee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nick
Chris is right, buy the car and drive it. Scoobysport will do a first rate job (they have reached near legendary status on the BBS). When things go pop bang then worry. I also bought a MY94 WRX about 2 years ago and not had a prob. so far. Its run on normal unleaded without any problems. I put a endoscope (is that how its spelt?) down the spark plug holes to check for any damage and all was fine.

Its got a full Scoobysport exhaust and Prodrive 17inch wheels. – Big brakes are next on the list along with some better lights.

So don’t worry drive it till it brakes then sort it out

PS the older WRX’s are stronger than the UK cars and some say the older turbo on the WRX (although it has a bit more lag cos its bigger and has a 90 degree intake) is one of the strongest ever put on an Impreza.

Hope this sets your mind at rest.....oh and welcome to the flock.
Yee

Old 07 February 2001, 11:06 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Nick - there is a meet this sunday - just up the road from you:
Old 07 February 2001, 11:08 AM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Cool

Rich, like RichR said there is a meet on sunday about 6 minutes from Frimley and there will be enough techno bods there to aid you in your quest. No problems at all They dont bite, hard.

R

Trending Topics

Old 07 February 2001, 11:19 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

And if you run out of questions for the techno bods, you can ask us Muppets

Chris
Old 07 February 2001, 12:03 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Right, who's first?

Is this a pi55 take.
Old 07 February 2001, 08:17 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks everyone for the info, advice and amusing little bits above.
Will be be popping down for a spot of lunch at the Quays meet on Sunday, mit ball und chain, in the little yellow peril. See some of ya there?

Nick
Old 07 February 2001, 10:11 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Footlong! Is that really your name or a bit of wishful thinking?
Old 07 February 2001, 10:13 PM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Talking

Don't we all wish? Handy if you want get horny with elephants. Tad impractical for normal filiies!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by JohnD:
<B>Footlong! Is that really your name or a bit of wishful thinking?[/quote]

Old 07 February 2001, 10:56 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Mr footlong, please accept my sincere apologies as it does seem like a genuine query, it was just when I read about a 106 GTI doing 0 to 60 mph in 6 seconds flat I said to myself, wind up... Again apologies and many happy miles of motoring.
Old 07 February 2001, 11:05 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Mr footlong, please accept my sincere apologies as it does seem like a genuine query, it was just when I read about a 106 GTI doing 0 to 60 mph in 6 seconds flat I said to myself, wind up... Again apologies and many happy miles of motoring.

PS I thought the same thing thing about the slow pick up in gears when I bought my car. I was actually expecting absolutely massive power in all gears at all revs. Suppose I was just naieve. Soon sorted it though by fitting new exhaust, chip, bleed valve, induction kit, quick shift and transformed it into the car I thought it was going to be.

[This message has been edited by Scruff (edited 07 February 2001).]
Old 08 February 2001, 10:29 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers Scruff. I'll get boring now if you want. 8K miles
SUL
Magnex Full SS System
K&N Induction, with decent charge routing
Racelogic Alterpower intelligent autosensing Alternator cut-off
Last but certainly not least, Racelogic Cockpit Adjustable Traction Control. This is what really does it. As you guys mentioned, my pug is bloody light, but has over 137Bhp at the flywheel, with little loss (yet) through to the wheels. Tourqey engine just loves to shred the wheels taking off. Bear in mind that the Mags that actually do test the 0-60 of cars rate her at 7.2-7.4, the TC lets the wheels take off right on the limit, as well as hones already phenomenal handling and compensates for excessive driver flair/stupidity. I have had a few english scooby drivers giving me the thumbs up due to shocking them, as most people have no idea that they can go so well! I do love her immensly, but I have wanted a scoob for a long time now and I am getting a bit old(23!) and need something that I can actually
get my golf clubs into without worrying about the leather, due to having nothing resembling a boot.

S**te, I talk far too much!

Nick

PS. What's important for light, powerful cars is to find ways of keeping the power tranferred onto the road (young kevs read this). I find it funny when you get all of the maxheads doing cam, turbo and head work on the microcars, getting 160Bhp+ and still wondering why they aren't all that quick. Go figure!

[This message has been edited by Mr Footlong (edited 08 February 2001).]
Old 09 February 2001, 12:17 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Mr Footlong has the right idea about getting as light car off the line quickly... trouble is that in order to get the torque you gotta be on cam, and that means high revs. Combine high revs and loadsa torque and you get wheelspin. Slow the engine down and it just bogs down so you lose out. Drop the clutch and you light up the tyres. So you have two options left.... 1) slip the clutch, but this takes a lot of skill and the right kind of clutch, or 2) fit a torque reduction system such as the Racelogic, this will reduce the output torque while maintaining the revs and keep the engine on cam. It will allow a controlled amount of slip and feed in extra torque as and when it can. Really clever stuff, now all I gotta do is set up the TC stuff in my ECU :-)

Cheers,

Pat.