Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Downpipies & Subaur UK Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2001, 10:23 PM
SKYMAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have a new MYOO currently with a Scoobysport BB.

I want to upgrade the downpipe (SS, Scoobymania etc) but am wondering about the 3yr warranty being prejudiced. The Bristol dealer I got the car from is good, but does anyone have experience of a dealer fitting a non-OEM d/p and confirming that the warranty will be unaffected?

SKYMAN
Old 31 January 2001, 03:32 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

Skyman,

my dealer fitted a Scorpion downpipe for me. He said that only the parts fitted are not covered by warranty.

Thanks

Sonu
Old 31 January 2001, 04:00 PM
Mr Bian
Scooby Regular

Smile

My Subaru dealer fitted my DP, no worries just the exhaust and DP that's not covered.
Old 31 January 2001, 04:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

IMHO

I have had a few mods done to my MY99 Scoob

The way my dealershiop tells it is that Subaru do not warranty the non-Subaru parts.
Also should the non-Subaru part casue a related failure then that is not covered either!

By that i mean if you fit an non-gen exhaust and your front disks warp the they are unrelated, no problem.

Fit non-gen air filter and you hole a piston then you may have a problem if the filter was to blame (MAF sensor fauilure or such like!)

Hope this helps

Paul
Old 31 January 2001, 04:41 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

If you fit any non-Subaru approved part it will be taken into account in the event of a warranty claim e.g. if you have an engine failure they will consider the fact that you removed the standard approved downpipe and <I>may</I> void your warranty as a result. This was what I was informed by Subaru UK when considering fitting an Sti backbox!

To be totally sure ring them yourselves to hear it from the horses mouth.

Otis.
Old 31 January 2001, 08:02 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Otis , we all know how **** retentive subaru uk are......but what i have read in the warranty section of the owners blurb that came with my scoob, was that warranty could be considered void if parts were fitted that were less than O.E. in quality.....

" Well m'lud the standard exhaust is crap steel and i paids mi 500 nicker and got a s/s exhaust system thats garenteed for 25 yir"

the upshot is you pays yur money and takes yur chances.......
unless you've got the brass ***** to challenge Sub Uk/IM in Court....

m.(Me synical.......Nah!!!!)
Old 02 February 2001, 12:16 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

MY DEALER SAID HE'D FIT A ( I think SUBARU! but don't know what spec. ) decat downpipe to backbox section for me for £340.
Then would give the cats to me to replace if a warrantee issue can up like surging etc, least I can put it back on to prove the piont.
Iam now saving up

Tony

ps. this surging thing is a pain but still love the car.

[This message has been edited by T5NYW (edited 03 February 2001).]
Old 02 February 2001, 01:14 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Subaru UK WILL NOT honour your warranty with different downpipe fitted. Cars with non-approved parts fitted causing problems (such as air filters and exhausts) are now becoming an expensive issue for Subaru UK and therefore they are very keen to stop it happening at their cost.

The best you can hope is that your dealer 'turns a blind eye' in the event of a problem although you should be prepared for an expensive argument if they don't.

This is not an 'official statement' merely my own personal comments as a fellow Impreza driver!

Mike
Old 02 February 2001, 07:25 PM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Well this topic is very close to my heart at the moment. I am having the dreaded surging/hesitation problems at the moment (MY00) so took the car to my dealer. They noticed that I had a non standard down pipe (Scorpion) and told me that this was causing the problem and they could not look at the car until I replaced it with the original down pipe as my warranty was currently invalid. I very much doubt the down pipe is causing the problem but I have no choice but to swap it back so they will look at the problem.
The REALLY bad news is that when I pick my car up to take it away and have the down pipe swapped I find that the dealer has buckled an alloy and cracked the windscreen in there 'test' drive - Happy NOT! They deny all knowledge the to$$ers. Would I really give a car to them with a vicious vibration through the steering wheel at all speeds - BE WARNED, I guess these guys are a bad apple from a good bunch (Subaru MAin Dealer by the way). I am now having to pick the pieces up and buy a new wheel and windscreen and the upsot is that I still have the original problem!!!
Old 02 February 2001, 10:17 PM
DMB
Scooby Regular

I was told by IM customer services (last week) that if I fitted a non genuine backbox and this was found to have caused any subsequent problems then any fix would not be warranty. However if the backbox had no bearing on the problem then the warranty would stand.

I understood that this was the same for any mods carried out on uk cars using non-genuine parts but it may be worth giving them a ring to check.

Personally I have ordered a prodrive/wr sport backbox just to be sure.