Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

my views on scoobysport downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2001, 07:28 PM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just had a proper run with the added downpipe and scoobysport panel filter in (on top of my MY00+PPP).

the engine seems to rev more freely and the turbo cuts in a little earlier. because of this acceleration seems to be stronger through the rev range and you can hear the turbo whistling a bit more! I also heard a few higher pitched noises that weren't so much worrying, but you did tend to listen for them.

on tickover, it doesn't seem any louder than the ppp backbox, but blipping the throttle when moving through slow traffic is much more throaty. I need to find a tunnel for the loud tests! A TVR went past me in traffic and, unfortunately, it did sound a bit better.

I wanted the grand noise and a bit of extra pull to compensate for fat passengers. top marks on both counts.

I think a centre section might make it too loud, but I'd like to see if it makes a significant performance difference.

Dowser if you get a centre section too, can I listen?

Old 17 January 2001, 12:05 AM
Andy Banks
Scooby Regular

Cool

I've compared my car with and without centre section, it is a lot louder esp with a TypeR with short gearing at motorway speeds.

But...Im sure it is faster, not just phsycologically cos of the noise....so full system it is for now.

Not quite as loud as my mates 355 with Tubi exhaust...which quite honestly gave me a headache when sat at traffic lights

Old 17 January 2001, 12:17 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Red face

a 355 with an aftermarket exhaust - you'd need earplugs!
Old 17 January 2001, 05:57 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks Fosters

Do you have a boost guage & when you say the turbo cuts in a little earlier, how earlier
(with just the PPP & induction mods my boost starts at 2.5k rpm)? Thanks

As for the centre - your PPP comes with a decatted centre already! Changing to an SS centre pipe will make no (or very little) performance difference - but you will get a noise increase in the cabin (although I *think* SS now offer a resonated centre too?).

The bulge you see in the PPP centre is just a resonator (with sheets of perforated steel in the bulge bit) to reduce boominess in the car - you can still see through the pipe.

Due to strict legality here, when I fit a catless downpipe I'll also be fitting a high-flow centre cat

You're more than welcome to come and have a listen - fancy a trip to Switzerland?!

Cheers
Richard
Old 17 January 2001, 07:58 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oh, I do have the loud version then (re centre section)!

the turbo used to cut in (with power that is, not just spooling up) at 2700. I'm getting that pull between 2400 and 2500. (I imagine it's the same in every gear, but I usually check these things in 4th)

I'd love to come and see you in switzerland, but I ought to get to a fleet meet first (20 miles down the road!)

Old 17 January 2001, 08:32 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks - have you got an induction kit or removed the resonator? This will also quicken spool-up time
Old 17 January 2001, 01:33 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

...ask David Yu of EVO mag (or is it Harry M that has the 355, I can't remember) - but from the cryptic comment in this month's mag I think he's had a run in with the law with it.....