Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

which is the best chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2000, 08:42 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

my girlfiend has a superchip in her scooby, and i want to chip my new scooby, but dont know which to go for. apparently powerengineering arent doing unichips/superchips for scoobies anymore,because of engine problems, and i dont want anything i have to fiddle with myself coz as sure as **** ill blow it up!
so, with a decent budget, what is the best and most reliable chip to go for, which aint gonna knacker my pride and joy?
Old 06 December 2000, 08:53 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

What exactly is your budget and what model year and particular model is your scooby and what other mods do you have (if any) already or what other mods do you think you might add in the future.

The more info you can provide, the better the reply you will get

Regards

Sunil
Old 06 December 2000, 09:23 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

its a MY2000 uk car with scoobysports backbox, itg filter, 17" alloys, prodrive suspension, with a lovely cherry scented airfreshner!
also, its a red mica one, am i the only one who loves this colour?
Old 06 December 2000, 09:26 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

and as far as budget is concerened, whatever it takes within reason. id rather spend a couple of grand and get it done right than spend a couple of hundred and blow it up.
any advice would be appreciated , i just want to get it right.
Old 07 December 2000, 01:39 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

sounds like you would be best off with a link or motec replacement ecu... if money's not tight and you want the best, the motec is the more powerful unit... but the link also gives excellent results in the right hands.
Old 07 December 2000, 07:51 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

...or buy the PPP and keep your warranty?
Old 07 December 2000, 08:51 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Probably best to go for the Link as Motec probably isnt worth the extra outlay on a humble UK car if warranty isnt your main concern. If you plan to mod more in the future then these ECUs can be tailored to suit.

If warranty is valued and other mods are not likely then get the PPP.

Sunil

Trending Topics

Old 07 December 2000, 06:19 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

Smile

cheers for the advice so far. who is the best people to do the link upgrade, where are they and has anyone had any problems with it? also , how much extra power/torque from it?
thanks again for taking the time to help, i appreciate it.
Old 07 December 2000, 07:47 PM
SimonM
Scooby Regular

Princess,

I think you'll find Bob Rawle is your man at BR Devlopments. Try
Old 07 December 2000, 09:24 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

This might be a stupid question but if you replace your ECU with a link or whatever and the thing goes bang cant you just swap back the standard ECU and claim off the warranty or is there tell tale signs.

Cheers Jake
(badly in need of more power but still under warranty)
Old 07 December 2000, 10:27 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

Wink

how good are the unichips compared to superchips? do u have to programme the link chip yourself, i had a look at the website(thanks), but it seems u have to know what youre doing, and i dont!
all i want is something reliable, quick, and done by an expert without me cocking it up.
thanks again, in the meantime i will ring bob rawle, as he seems to get a lot of good comments on scooby net
Old 08 December 2000, 09:18 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Bob Rawle maps the Link for you!!!.....dont worry

Sunil
Old 08 December 2000, 01:38 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

AFAIK BR Developments now do a package which includes ECU, Knock and Lambda Links (to monitor knock and lambda) and a tuning set-up done by Bob (which in my own experience will include reasonable support until you are happy). This costs just over a grand.

For a Motec add another £1,000, again Bob can tune the Motec for you.

Unichip sits on the standard ECU and fools it to enable fueling and ignition to be controlled. AFAIK as standard it does not include effective boost control and so you need to get an add on boost controller.

Powerstation apparently do a great job with this. They are in Cheltenham. Costs probably in line with the Link all in.

Personally I have the Link and am very pleased with a car that was initially mapped by Bob.

R
Old 08 December 2000, 08:00 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

had email from bob rawle today. he seems a genuine guy, and very helpful. so the decisions made, ill be booking in just after new year to get the work done with him. thanks for everyones advice, u really helped.
Old 09 December 2000, 12:59 AM
Eddie Bey
Scooby Regular

Question

Princess

Could you tell me what style of 17" wheels and the colour you have, as I also have a red mica MY00 and have yet to find any pictures of different wheels on this colour of car

Regards
Ed
Old 09 December 2000, 08:56 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

No worries Princess.

Jake, erm, if your engine decides to let the pistons say "hi" out the side, then it wont matter much what you swap back i'm afraid!

Sunil
Old 09 December 2000, 06:48 PM
bob
Scooby Regular

Hi Princess
If you want a UK MY2000 Link car to try you are welcome to have a go in mine.
As for extra BHP and Torque have a look at the Dyno site where you will see mine. Its on the Powerstation side.
Old 10 December 2000, 08:05 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Not sure how well the Unichip would go on a MY2000 (ring Rich at powerstation).

He did my MY93 WRX and the difference is staggering. The car is 7 yrs old and pulls like new, very impressive. Power is up from 255 to 280 Bhp and an increase in torque of 25 Ft/Lbs. Price......nothing like a Link.....£595 supplied, fitted and mapped.

Regards

Richie
Old 10 December 2000, 08:41 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Question

RichieC,

you say the price is nothing like the Link...

...what kind of boost controller is included in that price? Is it fully mappable alongside the Unichip's fuel and ignition?

I could be very wrong, but the the Unichip does not have comparable boost control and this is about another £400 plus for the controller.

I look forward to being enlightened - 'cos I need it

Also, Link price may also includes a 3-port boost solenoid, a Lamda and Knock Link and a Knock Sensor - so thats £300 of the package price.

Just making sure we have apples and apples.

R

[This message has been edited by Rannoch (edited 10 December 2000).]
Old 10 December 2000, 01:47 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

Had a look at Bobs power graphs and noticed it was running super unleaded. Can you run 95RON still, with a Link ECU?
Old 10 December 2000, 04:57 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Yes, Link can be mapped for 95 Ron but obviously you wont get as much out of it performance wise.

Sunil
Old 10 December 2000, 05:07 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

No you cant adjust boost as standard, but I dont want to. The controller is £100. KnockLink and LambdaLink are not included either (obviously as theyre LINK endorsed products) Im using KnockLink (£120) and AFR Meter (£60).

I personally think its horses for courses and I am over the moon with the Unichip. I would very much like the oppurtunity to put my car against a MY93 WRX with a Link, Id be VERY suprised if there was anything between them.

Yes the Link is more adjustable, Yes the Link is a cleverer system (ie more load points) but it wasnt as suitable for my MY93 is it would be for a later car, hence I went for the Unichip. and saved myself a few hundred quid. The man says money is no issue and given a blank cheque Id go for a MoTec, just for the toys (launch and anti-lag).

Rich
Old 10 December 2000, 05:28 PM
JAMES.M.
Scooby Regular

Question

Ive just had my STI2 'Unichiped' with the electronic boost controller. But on the dyno it only came up with 260bhp , should i be concerned?
I had it dyno'd when it was standard at PE and it read 279bhp! both using super unleaded apart from now i have Broquet in aswell, with the usual exhaust and breathing mods.
Anyone have any ideas? it does feel faster at the top end now but is not very smooth getting there.
Cheers...JAMES
P.S.Also had bump steer done,its exellent!

[This message has been edited by JAMES.M. (edited 10 December 2000).]
Old 11 December 2000, 11:21 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I would go for the prodrive performance pack if i were you princess, you will get the reliability and the peace of mind (plus more torque and power) and keep your warranty in tact (rather that than having to pay loads of money out if your clutch goes for example!!) and the prodive ecu is meant to be very good
Old 11 December 2000, 01:26 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Richie,

I am not suggesting that Unichip is not good, or not appropriate for your situation.

My point is that when you say the Unichip is a cheaper solution then I am not entirely in agreement.

A bleed valve is cheaper at £20 but you are not comparing like with like.

Boost control is as important as fuel and ignition as it is the three together that give you fine control over the behaviour of your car.

So, if that is what is required a Unichip set up is much closer in price to the Link - that is all.

R
Old 11 December 2000, 08:33 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

Wink

cheers for the advice tony, but even my subaru dealer said the prodrive performance package wasnt worth it. he said the scoobysports backbox and itg filter was good, and prodrive only do the whole hog, not just the chip on its own, and i really wanted the scoobysports backbox. id dont get graphs really bob, what i want to know is does it go like **** off a shovel and has it broke down???
ive got technomagnesio wheels. i cant remember the name , but they have the six spokes that are split into two, and are number two on the wheels sheet at the subaru dealer. they are grey not silver.
Old 11 December 2000, 10:23 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Fair point Rannoch, the LINK did not fit my budget and as such I opted for the Unichip. I dont care about mappable boost even though I know it is preferable. My car does go like the preverbiale, its safe and is comparable to LINK equiped cars in terms of power and performance in the real world.

Im not going to let this thread detract from what Princess is asking so Ill leave it at that.

Rich
Old 12 December 2000, 11:21 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Princess, i disagree, if you value your warranty and re-saelability of the packaged car, i was very happy with the 2k PPP on my car, beautifully smooth and refined and sounds lovely.

Sunil
Old 12 December 2000, 10:30 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Princess
I was out in Bob's car at Brands 2day , at the same time I was fortunate to go out in a car with a unichip fitted with 115,000 miles on the clock , both where out running Porsches , Elises , TVR's and a whole host other cars . There was not that much between them.
As a tuner once said to me , if get the fueling and the ignition right then you will produce power . It all depends on how much you have to spend .
Dave
Old 12 December 2000, 10:34 PM
princess
Scooby Newbie

Wink

cheers sunilp, i know what youre saying, but i want something that compares with my girlfriends superchipped car in terms of sheer acceleration- it really is gobsmacking. i dont mind paying out 2k if i have to , but is their a big difference after prodrive have finished with your car?
does it leave your stomach on the backseat when u put your foot down like my girlfriends, or does it just feel a tad quicker, after all, 2k is a lotta dough, whether u can afford it or not.
thanks for the advice so far sunilp, i do appreciate it.

Quick Reply: which is the best chip?