Need Advise on Turbo Matching for STI

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2001, 12:00 AM
Seraph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Guys

I have a MY99 STI Type R. I am running stock STI ECU but have many bolt on parts like headers, exhaust, cold-air box etc.

My standard turbo is IHI VF-28 running 1.1-1.2 bar stock boost. Recently, I am advised to upgrade to a VF-23 but not sure if this is a good option. Moreover, not sure if the VF-28 is better matched for the STI ECU.

Please advise me if the standard VF-28 is enough and pros/cons of moving to a VF-23 or even VF-29.

Thanks
Old 09 January 2001, 01:21 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

Seraph,

The VF28 turbo is "reasonably" well matched to your car, it will spool up quickly and still be operating at "sensible" efficiency at the top end. You could change it for a VF23 or a VF22, but that would alter your boost profile, probably moving it up by about 500 RPM, however, it will be delivering a denser charge since it doesn't have to work "as hard" as a VF28. The VF29 is pretty much the same as the 28, but with a newer impeller design and compressor cover, I think it still uses a P-18 exhaust housing.

To get the best from a replacement turbo you'de ideally want to get a replacement ECU and have it mapped to your car. A VF22 will work on a JECS ECU but it's not going to be ideal.....

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 09 January 2001, 02:00 PM
Seraph
Scooby Regular

Pat

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me more regarding the difference from VF-28 to VF-23/22.

Assuming I am not planning any ECU upgrades for now (no 4W dyno in Singapore), is your advise to stick to the VF-28?

THanks.
Old 11 January 2001, 06:51 AM
malique
Scooby Regular

hey seraph..

Theres a 4W dyno in KL. u can get the ecu mapped at Speedworks. I'd rent the dyno but BYOM *bring yr own mechanic*.

mail me if u like.