Cooling Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2001, 08:02 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Gents,

Drove to work this morning at 05:30... Roads empty. Drove about 15 miles, not once going over 60mph/3000rpm. Reached final destination, stopped and cooling fan came on... Is this normal? My cooling fan seems to come on after every motorway journey, even if I haven't been driving on boost. Could I not have enough coolant in the system, which incidently was another topic I posted:
Old 08 January 2001, 01:55 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Come on guys... help me out here!

Karlos
Old 08 January 2001, 02:04 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

They all do that!

Mine came on while I was still clearing the snow off the windows a couple of weeks back.

Imprezas run quite hot compared to other cars, so the fans come on & off all the time.

You can check the coolant by looking under the bonnet when the engine is cold and seeing if the fluid level is where it should be.
Old 08 January 2001, 02:29 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for putting my mind at rest David, I'll check the fluid level in the morning. Any thoughts on the strange gurgling noises mentioned in my other post?

Karl
Old 09 January 2001, 05:28 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Keep a close eye on your coolant and never let a scoob boil . I replaced a cracked radiator in my legacy but forgot to reconnect the fan wiring . The car then boiled when it was started and ran to check for airlocks . About a month later I had to get the head gaskets replaced as it was pressurising the radiator . This is expensive as it involves a full days labour (both heads have to be done - not easy on a scoob). Luckily I have a mate who is a scooby mechanic and he done it at home for me . Still charged me £100 for labour . Dread to think what a dealer would charge . So be warned .
Old 09 January 2001, 06:36 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

On my old my99 I had to have the radiator changed (unfortunate incident with a fox - fox lost) - afterwards the fan came on at intermittent intervals (didn't before) although the level (& guage) was OK.

I was really worried there might be an air block somewhere - but the dealer reckoned it was normal.

If this has only started happening since a recent change I'd investigate further - any airblock in the system will cause hot-spots....not good. I didn't bother with mine - traded it back to the dealer for a my00

Having said that - someone on one of the Oz BBS's (I think) wired up some of the spare dash lamps for additional info; one of these was the fan - he was amazed how often it came on.

Richard
Old 09 January 2001, 11:57 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

My STI type RA fan comes on after stopping for 10 to 20 sec (while the turbo timer is running).

Trending Topics

Old 10 January 2001, 02:32 PM
Mark Kaye
Scooby Newbie

Ok, here's what's happening.

On a long motorway run there is plenty enough airflow through the radiator and engine bay to keep the coolant at around 85 degrees (centigrade). When you stop, say at a service station, the engine is still just as hot but now has no benefit from constantly flowing air. Heat soak then causes the coolant temp to gradually rise until it trips the fans.

Simple. Nothing to worry about - just glance at the coolant temp guage every trip to make sure she's not getting too hot and you'll be fine.

Rgds,

M

[This message has been edited by Mark Kaye (edited 10 January 2001).]