Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

water ingress

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2001, 08:52 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've removed the resonator and very happy with the improvements.
but I think I may have sucked in some water after going through a deep puddle slowly. the car started to cough and splutter, and great clouds of steam coming from the exhaust, after a few minutes every thing was back to normal and running fine, I pulled over and did a visual check, I did notice that a clip was missing from the wheel arch, the mud guard was lose and allowing water in.

not being very technical when it comes to cars and all !! what's the likelihood of any permanent damage, or water ingress into the oil compartments ????

Phill
Old 04 January 2001, 09:20 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Water being sucked into the engine is a VERY bad thing and will lead to the engine going bang. This happened to a lot of Peugeots during the floods when they drove through deep water too quickly. The problem occurs because water cannot be compressed. The cylinder fills with water, the piston moves up (OK it doesn't move up in a scoob!), the water doesn't compress so something has to give somewhere, usually the conrods = 1 knackered engine.

Sounds to me like you didn't actually suck any water into the engine, maybe some of the electrics got wet which caused the spluttering. Are you sure the steam was coming OUT of the exhaust and not just caused by water hitting the hot engine/exhaust.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 08 January 2001, 12:47 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Red face

Joey,

Not just Peugeot's but also Renaults. A friend of the family drove his Espace through a puddle a bit too quickly during the worst of the weather and the engine abruptly died. He had it towed to his dealer where he was shown 3 others with the same problem. He asked what the solution was and was told a new engine He also asked how he could prevent it again and was told it was a known problem with the Espace but no revised part had been offered by the manufacturers to prevent water intake, so he should be particularly vigilant when puddles form.

French cars eh, are they all crap.

Yex
Old 08 January 2001, 08:23 AM
phill chinn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Joey,

the steam was defiantly coming from the exhaust, and not under the car as this was what worried me at first.
I turned the engine of as soon as I got through the puddle, checked the car over, under the car and bonnet, there was a tiny amount of steam coming of the engine and exhaust then, but when I restarted the coughing and spluttering started and great clouds of steam appeared out of the exhaust, after 30-40 seconds it had improved greatly, but persisted for a few minutes.
when got back home I checked the dip stick and filler cap, with no tell tail signs of water in the oil, I also have rechecked frequently since.
as you say I may be ok.

but thanks again

Phill
Old 08 January 2001, 01:35 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

....the average Espace owner drives like a U-boat captain anyway.....
Old 08 January 2001, 02:39 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Don't worry too much - if you get a hydraulic lock in your engine it will stop instantaneously and either blow the head off/ push the crank out of the engine, or put a rod through the block.

Suffice to say that you would probably notice!.

Some water may have got into the inlet tract though - check/replace the air filter, and change engine oil as a precaution.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 09 January 2001, 05:03 AM
TURBO7379
Scooby Regular

Seen the engine of a pug 505 diesel that had sucked in water . One piston was sitting an inch lower thah the rest !! Obviously a bent conrod . The crazy thing is the owner had continued using it for a week and brought it in for a service cause "Its a bit down on power" . Shows how tough pug engines are .
Btw I have owned 3 pug205's and race a 309GTI so no bias here !
Old 09 January 2001, 06:44 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

My Dad killed his diesel turbo astra during the recent floods. Thought he could hit water without worrying about loss of spark to the glow plugs.

He could, of course, but it didn't stop it gulping water and going bang!

Paul - I think you were lucky As Alex mentions, check your filter...it's not a paper one is it?

Richard