Samco Hoses

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2001, 07:46 PM
GSM21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi

I have a MY95 Scooby and am wondering what advantages and disadvantage there are to changing the cooling hoses and turbo hoses.
How much performance would i gain?
also i have a ITG Panel filter in, now would i get more benefit and bhp out of having the pipercross induction cone filter on.
Old 04 January 2001, 12:02 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Assuming the 95 is not too different from my99> (?);

Remove resonator (see other post) & replace the intercooler hosing...imho (I've seen under the intercooler)

Richard
Old 05 January 2001, 07:42 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

GSM21
I was talking to a guy from Prodrive and he reconned that 33% of the power gain from the PPP came from the exhaust change, 33% from pipe changes (under I/C) and 33% from ecu upgrade. Whilst I do not disput his words, I find it hard to believe that changing the pipework would make that much difference, although the pipes are smooth inside. I think I'll change to Samco when the DP gets changed.
Stan
Old 06 January 2001, 12:04 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Having a PPP meself and playing with bits of it i would say the gain was split as follows,

ECU 95%
Exhaust 4%
Pipework 1%

I think the pipework is a different layout underneath the IC which might help the flow of air?

Sunil
Old 06 January 2001, 12:59 PM
MARK MORRIS
Scooby Regular

SAME HERE, WHEN I CHANGE THE DOWNPIPE I AM GOING TO CHANGE THE HOSES
Old 07 January 2001, 10:15 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I've a digi photo of the OE under-intercooler pipework that gets swapped out as part of PPP. It's a *little* restrictive.

If you saw it, you'd be keen to get rid of yours too

I don't think it's worth 30% of the PPP....but more than 1%. Sunil - did you ever try a back-to-back comparison with just the hosing? I wanted too....but can't be *rsed removing i/c again!

Richard
Old 07 January 2001, 10:57 AM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Question

Dowser - so how are the the Samco/PPP pipes different ? - not so sharp bends ??
I assume they are same dia and start and end in the same place !!!
Not having stuck my head down there or seen PPP pipes I am curious as to how their design changes make a worthwhile difference.

Sunil - it makes you wonder why they bother with different hoses if they make such a small difference. I, too, find it more likely that the BB would give an extra 8 BHP (4%), but I'm only passing on what I was told !
I have the PPP ecu (not the pipework or PD BB) which made a great difference - [I already had a SS BB and centre pipe and cone filter, rising rate (FSE PB valve) regulator]
It would be interesting to fit just the pipework (instead of pipework +DP at the same time) to see if there were any noticeable differences - but too much hassle/expense !
Cheers
Stan

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2001, 02:09 PM
Sam Elassar
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

hi there
changing the intercooler hose should not realistically give any performance or power gain as sunilp said. it is only a hose?!. however the standard item splits under high boost pressure ( i know !!) and that is probably why Prodrive probably change them as the PPP runs higher boost than standard. i have not noticed any difference in the car what so ever after i got mine fitted, all i gained is the peace of mine that my intercooler hose is not going to split if i booted the car.

it takes alot more than that to get extra power out of the subaru engine, i wish it was that easy.

sam
Old 07 January 2001, 02:41 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

If someone'll host the picture for me it'll be easier to picture it than my explaining

The OE junction where the single i/p from turbo splits into the dual i/p for i/c is a reinforced piece of plastic. The reinforcement restricts the diameter significantly.

The PPP junction is cast aluminium offering no (well, less!) restriction.

Richard
Old 07 January 2001, 04:05 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Just to clarify, i did not say its ONLY a hose. I did question, as i havent seen the underside of my IC lately, that it is a different layout, thereby aiding efficiency (question mark). Also, the Prodrive brochure describes it with words to the effect of "revised intercooler piping"

Sunil
Old 08 January 2001, 08:20 AM
Darren Thompson
Scooby Regular

You can get the Samco Hoses for about £50 +VAT as for the cast Aluminum split pipe under the inter cooler I think that would be a Prodrive part only.

Also just out of interest does anyone know what boost the PPP ECU provides, the standard ECU produces 1 BAR.

Darren.
Old 08 January 2001, 08:59 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think the cast aluminium pipe is available from GGR, but undoubtly you will pay a premium for it!!