Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oil additives -- Molyslip, STP, Wynns, Slick 50

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2001, 02:22 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Just curious to know if anyone uses, or has any opinions on these additives. Slick50 seems to divide opinion very neatly into "swear by it" / "wouldn't touch it", but anyone use Moly, STP or others?

Currently using Valvoline full synth with nowt else, but interested to gather opinions / thoughts.
Old 04 January 2001, 02:31 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole. I think this qoute pretty much sums it up.. "The major oil companies are some of the richest, most powerful and aggressive corporations in world. They own multi-million dollar research facilities manned by some of the best chemical engineers money can hire. It is probably safe to say that any one of them has the capabilities and resources at hand in marketing, distribution, advertising, research and product development equal to 20 times that of any of the independent additive companies. It therefore stands to reason that if any of these additive products were actually capable of improving the capabilities of engine lubricants, the major oil companies would have been able to determine that and to find some way to cash in on it.

Yet of all the oil additives we found, none carried the name or endorsement of any of the major oil producers."

Any benefit these products have is in my eyes psychological. I now confidently expect to be attacked by loads of people saying how it has made their engine smoother/improved fuel economy.

One last thing You should also note that the AA (UK Automobile Assosciation) has since also carried out tests on Slick-50 type friction reducers and concluded the same: they generally result in blocked oil filters.

If you want to read more on these so called "Snake Oils" then check
Old 04 January 2001, 03:12 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

thanks for the input Joey!
Old 06 January 2001, 12:01 AM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Joey - excellent article!

I would like to add my own personal testimonial. I used Slick50 in a Rover 216 E-reg. The fuel economy was noticeably improved. So as the article points out friction is reduced. Unfortunately the engine did suffer catastropic failure a couple of years down the line. I cannot say that it was directly related to using Slick50 but from the evidence in the article (from Labs that would declare who they were and their test proceedures) it would seem very likely to me

Mick
Old 06 January 2001, 09:01 PM
Branners
Scooby Regular

I had heard that Slick50 can cause deposits to form in the turbo so I checked with Turbo Technics and they said they didnt have a preference either way. It was neither a help nor a hindrance.

I personally wouldnt use it in a high performance turbo engine, instead I would use a good oil like Valvoline and change it regularly. Some of the Supra guys change their oil every 3000miles to be on the safe side.

JB