Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which air filter ??

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2000, 12:40 AM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One post in particular, something about bonfires and word puzzles really did it.

I want the freedom of flow -we can use that line in an advert somewhere- but I'm also looking for decent filtration.
I know it's a comprimise, but people didn't seem happy with the 57i after 6 month or so.
Old 15 December 2000, 10:47 AM
Aero
Scooby Regular

I've been put off the 57i by several posts, and am now considering the HKS filter which seems to be fitted to a fair few cars on this list...
Old 15 December 2000, 11:25 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

Who has put you off the 57i?
Old 15 December 2000, 12:05 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

Could anyone recommend an air filter.

Is it worth forking out for one of those snazy Japanese ones or are there cheaper/better systems available?
Old 15 December 2000, 01:27 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I've had my 57i for 70,000 miles without any probs. Highly recommended. After all, K&N are filtration experts, like PX and ITG. Companies like Blitz and HKS are not, which is why they use other companies designs.

Stef.
Old 15 December 2000, 01:37 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Looks like a case of "Horse's For Courses" to be honest. Personally, I have the Blitz induction kit. Didn't go for the K&N or ITG offerings after gaining fairly poor performance from both systems on other cars. I drive a MY96' which is completely standard apart from a Blitz dump valve and the afore mentioned induction kit. I was happy to see 234bhp and 222lb torque on the PE rolling road after having the induction kit fitted......
(No doubt someone will be-little this in another reply!) :-(

Karlos
Old 15 December 2000, 02:00 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

It really is down to how much you want to spend!!!

Obviously you could go for a panel replacement, but they really don't give gains. I think the popular choices are ITG or K&N.

As for air inductors, there are the cheaper UK ones, such as the K&N 57i, Pipercross and Green. I use to have a K&N 57i on my old MY97 UK, and had no problems with it at all.

As for the more expensive air inductors, you have the likes of Blitz, HKS and RamPod. I have heard some stories (maybe unfounded) about the Japanese filters, so to avoid that sort of risk I went for the RamPod.

I am much happier with the RamPod in my MY99 UK car, and if I had known about it sooner, I probably would have had one on the MY97 car. Although rolling road days are difficult to make comparisons, my car was producing noticably more power than similar cars running K&N and Pipercross air inductors.

I'm sure that if you ask enough people, you will find fault with all filters!!

Karlos, I won't be-little your comment. If you are happy with the filter, then thats all that matters!!!

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2000, 02:47 PM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Always thought the Rampod is a little small, and the position of it (going by the photos on the Scoobymania website) indicate that it may not get much airflow....

Karlos
Old 15 December 2000, 02:55 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

ITG panel & remove the resonator
Old 15 December 2000, 03:13 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

SMALL???? I think you need to look at one is the engine bay!!!

Anyway size isn't everything!!!
Old 15 December 2000, 03:25 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Stupid question, what's the resonator?
Old 15 December 2000, 03:48 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Ive got [Andy Tangs old!! ] 57i fitted to my MY93 WRX. Does the job nicely and I can recommend them. Blitz looks the biz though and sounds slightly different but they are expensive.

Rich
Old 15 December 2000, 05:13 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

What kind of noise do the above mentioned filters make?

Old 15 December 2000, 05:51 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

erm, sucking noises, unless you spank them, then they make crying noises
Old 15 December 2000, 11:44 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

ROTF @ Sunil.

Remember Sunil, sensible posts here only!

Seriously though, my ITG panel has made no extra noise. But you can hear more turbo whistle. Does that seem contradictory! The filter itself does not make any noise.

I believe the filters do make some performance increase, but the car accelerates so quick in standard trim, it's hard to notice the difference.
My old GSi had a K+N in the airbox. It had slightly more torque and went to the red line better.

P.
Old 16 December 2000, 10:59 AM
Karlos
Scooby Regular

Since having the blitz induction kit filter, induction is obviously louder, but you can also hear actuator which sounds very "Rally car"

Karlos
Old 16 December 2000, 11:54 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Wink

To get more noise from a panel filter, can't you drill holes in the airbox to get the induction noise!

For the ammoount of effort it is, you may as well buy an air inductor for those sucking noises!!
Old 16 December 2000, 05:42 PM
Maxy_UK
Scooby Regular

I had a friend that once did that to his airbox in his VW Golf VR6, boy did that thing have induction raw

But it was a bit too in your face for my liking.

I will try to get to some meets to actually see and hear the different filters, then i will make a choice
Old 18 December 2000, 07:32 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

The biggest restriction to the standard car's induction is the resonator.

This is a gourd like device which hides in the inner wing. It's function is to reduce the induction noise - it unfortunately also dampens throttle response

To remove it takes about an hour and involves removing the wheel and splash guard. Then the bracket between wing and engine tub (fiddly), then the resonator. It would be recommended to replace the standard panel filter with something better at the same time - ITG, K&N, etc.

When doing it, it's best to also block the hole you've just made between the inner wing and engine bay to ensure only cold air is drawn in.

Make sure your splash guard is refitted correctly to ensure you're not sucking in water from all the puddles!

The Oz bbs's reckon this is worth 3-5 PS. Can't comment on that - but it makes throttle response much, much better Very noisy though.

While a full-on under bonnet induction kit will give better airflow, the benefit is (IMHO) hampered by only being able to draw in hot air from the engine bay.

Richard
Old 18 December 2000, 11:16 AM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Talking

I fitted a blitz on Sunday, and instant gains. First I was a bit scared that it was pulling in warm air from the block, and reducing power, but a bit of throttle saw us flying.
The induction sound is much louder. Useful on the motorway as I can tell when I'm on boost. (unfortunatley this appears to be 50mph in 5th)

I'm looking at using brake dcuting to guide air from under the bumper or around the fogs (yet to go in) to the filter, or fitting a heat sheild betweem the block and the filter.
Anyone come up with a solution for this previously?

Old 18 December 2000, 11:37 AM
Milky
Scooby Regular

Cool

Just my two penny worth, I've got a 57i on a MY96 UK, excellent roar, ****e dump valve sound...

Darren.
Old 18 December 2000, 09:18 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had an HKS fitted at the weekend. Lots of wooshing and whistling which takes a bit of getting used to - it has given the car a slightly deeper exhaust note (enough to set off the odd car alarm ) and the mid-range pull seems to have improved a bit - early days though, so I am going to give it some time to bed in and see if things continue to improve.

Aero - debatable whether you would need extra air because of the general air flow through the engine bay when the car is moving. However, if you want to try something, why not use a piece of flexible aluminium hosing (cost you about a fiver from your local Halfords) , make it into a loose 's' shape and place it inside the wing, where the resonator usually sits. It can be secured to the bracket between the wing and engine bay, using a couple of plastic 'zipper' ties. Air is diverted when it comes through the spoiler and up onto the filter.

Cheers

Chris
Old 19 December 2000, 04:01 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I changed from a Blitz Cone to a K+N 57i on my car... Minimal loss of performance and definite increase in level of filtration.

I always tend to notice the differences more when moving down from a higher performance product to a lower one. There was very little loss when moving from Blitz cone (~£160+) to a K+N 57i kit (~£65).

Moray
Old 19 December 2000, 04:05 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

PS: I recently saw the difference between a standard intake pipe and the BPM/STI larger intake pipe... there is a lot of restriction placed on the airflow by the standard intake pipe... I suspect you could almost gain more by replacing this restriction than by fitting a cone.
Old 19 December 2000, 06:07 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

But how long does it take to fit Moray?! I thought it was a real pig

RIchard
Old 19 December 2000, 10:09 AM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Cheers, Chris.
I was looking at the brake ducting from demon tweeks, but the halfords option seems a little better on the pocket.
Old 21 December 2000, 02:24 PM
Rikster
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys, I'm new to the mailing list.
This may be a silly question, but does fitting an aftermarket filter, be it a replacement element or an induction kit, have any effect on fuel economy ?

Old 21 December 2000, 03:07 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Welcome,

I wouldn't have thought it would have made much of a change. It could possible help to reduce consumption as you are leaning out the mixture with the extra air.

I had a K&N cone on my GSI, leaned the mixture so much it stalled at round abouts. Not heard of that here though. Scoobs seem to run quite rich.

P.
Old 21 December 2000, 06:24 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

How does the changing of the Air Filter affect your insurance?

Flame suit on - should be placed in the insurance folder.......

I thought it might be worth asking....
Old 21 December 2000, 07:17 PM
Frazer
Scooby Regular

Sith its not just you mate, I fitted a K+N induction kit to my car(Laguna 2.0 8 valve) last month and when I start the car from cold the revs drop so low that the car stalls sometimes. A couple of weeks after having it fitted I pulled out of my drive and was coasting down the hill beside my house and the engine cut out at 30 mph!

Can anyone help me solve this problem; I may have to remove it.

P.S the induction kit was fitted by an experienced mechanic.

Quick Reply: Which air filter ??