Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Noisy Engine

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2000, 07:58 PM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY98 standard UK is little noisy from cold. It sounds like its knocking, now three mates (all scooby owners)have all had a listen to it and didn't seem to bothered. I've taken it to the dealer and they didn't seem that concerned - but did say I should bring it back if I was convinced that something may be wrong.

When the car is warmed up it's fine. Could it be a problem with the oil pump or pressure, but that said the warning lights havn't indicated this.

Does anyone have any more ideas or am being a little paranoid.

Ric
Old 20 November 2000, 08:09 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

I think I get paranoid too. I've got a 94 WRX and there is a slight 'tappety' noise, although some chaps at donnington had a listen and said it was nothing to worry about. I had a listen to another 94 WRX and it was exactly the same.
Old 20 November 2000, 08:12 PM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Hi Mattski,

I was asking the same questions at Donington. Its the fact that it goes away when the car is warm that makes me wonder.

Ric
Old 20 November 2000, 08:26 PM
SCOTTY
Scooby Regular

Wink

Check your mail.

Scotty.
Old 20 November 2000, 08:27 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

ah, mine is the other way if anything, no noise upon startup etc but the tappety noise only seems to appear when it's hot. I presume that the oil has thinned etc...
Old 21 November 2000, 12:37 AM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Mattski, I have a 94 WRX and have noticed, over the last month and a bit, a similar noise. Don't notice it when cold but can hear it when warm. I don't know if the two are connected but i've only noticed it since the petrol shortage, and have heard lots of reports of cars all over the country running bad and even breaking down since then. A lot of garages are reporting a 300-400% increase in work due to clogged injectors and carbs. Motoring organizations are blaming petrol stations and car owners for running tanks dry during the protest. Just a thought, but I'm getting mine serviced soon so I might get the injectors cleaned at the same time. If you suss out what it is in the mean time could you give me a shout

Cheers
Charlie H
Old 21 November 2000, 10:52 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

97MY, knocking noise Piston#4! The story goes a bit like the Graig David tune:
First Heard the noise on Monday,
took it dealer on Tuesday,
left with the dealer on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and not likely to get it back before Sunday!
Dealer indicated that it could be the infamous Warped Piston/lack of cooling concern? It is out of 3year warranty but I am awaiting a decision on who pays! Certainly not me cos it may be in excess of 2.5K !
Only done 31K circa miles full dealer service history! NOT A HAPPY CHAPPY
Old 21 November 2000, 11:18 AM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Jacko - ouch.

Hope you get it sorted asap. I don't think its the piston slap - it is more of a knock/tapping instead of slapping.

Mine is still in warrenty but 57k. I think I'll go and see the dealer again.

Ric
Old 21 November 2000, 09:50 PM
Bryn
Scooby Regular

My scube used to make a sort of rattly noise, thought it was the engine manifold but can't hear a thing now...........except the huge din coming from the new mongoose exhaust!
Old 21 November 2000, 10:44 PM
mattski
Scooby Regular

Charlie,

Glad to know I'm not alone The car is running fine, but the noise is, well, maybe a bit worrying.

During the petrol crisis I was lucky, I filled up the day before it kicked off so I didn't run dry.

Roger Clarke serviced my car a couple of weeks ago, oil and plug change etc, and they say it's running fine.

If you find out what it is let me know

Matt

Old 23 November 2000, 01:26 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Um, I'd get it checked by a third party. Mine (UK 98MY) did was noisy (sounded like tapping, not slapping), and like you I wasn't bothered.
I was surprised at how quiet the new engine is. See my post I put up a few weeks ago.
Old 23 November 2000, 01:28 PM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Miles,

Cheers, I'll have a look for it now.

Ric
Old 23 November 2000, 01:39 PM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Just spoke to the dealer - car booked in for next week. I'll keep you all posted.

Ric
Old 02 December 2000, 03:53 PM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Arrow

MY98 has now been with the dealer since Tuesday night (28th Nov). On the Wednesday the dealer inspected the engine and were awaiting a reply from Subaru. On Friday they told me that Subaru had authorised the replacement of a piston - don't know which one - neither did the dealer! But at present no delivery has been given for the part. So, at present I've got to wait until Monday morning for a possible answer. I does seem like the dealer is trying his best, time will tell I suppose.

As soon I have more info I'll post up.

Ric
Old 04 December 2000, 01:23 PM
Miles
Scooby Regular

Smile

Good news! Thanks for the updates.
Old 04 December 2000, 06:05 PM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

OK, I now have Scooby back. However, as yet no work has been done! Acording to the dealer they are awaiting a technical document from IM, that apparently will shed more light on the subject.

Does this sound like IM have recognised the fact that a fault exists are going to actually attempt to solve the problem.

Or is replacing the piston or short engine the actual solution. Either way the dealer has reasured that:

1. A problem exists
2. Whatever needs to be done will carried out as the problem was highlighted whilst the car still has a valid warranty (it doesn't expire until August 01, I got one of these topup Subaru Assistance warranties when I purchased the car a few months back).
3. Can't remember what I was going to put here - doh.

Anyway how long this is going I don't yet know. Hopefully within the couple of weeks everything should be sorted.

Again, I'll post more information as I get it.

Ric
Old 04 December 2000, 06:08 PM
RichardH
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Remember point 3!

3. The dealer assures me that the car can be driven and it won't cause any damage or be detrimental to the cars performance.

Ric