Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PPP backbox fitted...!

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2000, 12:11 AM
BillyHeadcase
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive got the PPP on mine too and yeah I can agree. When you work the motor, theres a lovelly sounding woosh/whistle. Sounds better from the outside as I found out last week when me bird dropped me off at the pub and pissed off in a huff ragging the motor in an effort to wind me up....as you can imagine, it did the opposite, even the bouncers (sorry door men) commented on the noise. Quite litterally, toptastic mate!
Old 22 November 2000, 11:37 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I tried the Prodrive backbox yesterday, to complete the PPP install.

I can't really comment on any performance gains.....still trying to get over the shock of the noise!

I had a Scoobysport on my last car, which I removed because of noise (Swiss neighbours....and wife!). The Prodrive item is much quieter with mild and off boost - very nice.

But at full chat, inside the car, the backbox seems to give a tuned response and tries to blank out the engine explosion noise to be replaced by extremely violent air rushing noise.

A bloody shock first time I booted it! Outside it also mutes the noise a little....but not as much as inside!

Anyone else with a Prodrive backbox (on a wagon, if it makes a difference) who can report this is normal? Looking at the tail-pipe, the 3-3.5" outside diameter is reduced inside via a tube of perforated piping - my assumption is that this interupts airflow after a certain flow rate sufficiently to cause this effect. Mike/Simon - care to comment?

Either way - bloody impressive Still don't know if it's too loud for mission-control though....guess I'll find out soon!
Old 23 November 2000, 11:54 PM
Mac's Power
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This is quite normal from the prodrive BB. When i first heard it I fell in love and had our exhaust manufacturer make one that made the sound. I had it on my last car and boy did it whistle!!

We now sell both versions here in Ireland. Whistle and non whistle. non is still the most popular :-(

Old 25 November 2000, 08:34 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Yes, I agree dowser.

I had a test drive in a MY00 PPP'd car and I thought something had gone wrong with the car. The air rushing noise took me by suprise, can't say that it sounded good or like a normal performance exhaust.

F

Old 26 November 2000, 05:57 PM
Trinidadian Scooby Fan
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I have fitted the PPP centre and rear box and found that it made an immediate difference.

I love the fact that in the car the noise does not affect your comfort. I apologise to the public for the noise on the exterior...

I have found that the car is faster and ther is less delay to the high RPM bands.

Does anyone kow how much BHP this should have added?

Around 10-15bhp??