Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Derestricting MY93 WRXs

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2000, 02:31 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the current best option for derestricting/converting an Import??

Ideally I want to get the Kms ammeded too if poss, any ideas.

Cheers in advance

Rich
Old 21 October 2000, 09:50 PM
Nigel Bowles
Scooby Regular

When I bought mine the speedo had Kmh trip and Mph speedo up to 112mph.
I got fed up with this and replaced it with white dials and a converter box from scooby sport.
If your speedo still reads up to 180kph you only need to put a mph sticker over the kph.
I am sure more people do the converter aswell.
By doing the conversion the manual limiter will not cut in until 180mph, don't think you will be hitting that!
Old 22 October 2000, 12:35 AM
wrx.co.uk
Scooby Regular

Ritchie

I have to disagree with the other 2 posts.

I have self imported 3 cars to date, the speedo / gearbox converter is the best method.

Your speedo will read correctly in miles, the ECU thinks this is in kilometers so the restrictor won't work until you get to 180mph

Also your trip will work correctly.

Get varification of the trip reading from an MOT station, letter or certificate, before you fit. You will have to re-fit the orginal speedo decals, and this is not easy.

try
Old 22 October 2000, 12:42 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

The way I understood it was that phtsically (on the early cars) the needle would activate the limiter when it reached 180. Be that KM or Miles. By fitting the gearbox thingy your reducing the movement of the needle to read miles and hey presto you can now do 180 miles per hour (theretically) before reaching the limit.

The thing Im getting at is this: The car now has 110,000Kms on it, if I convert it and start adding miles onto this 110,000 when I come to sell it itll be a bitch to explain, certificate or not.

Rich
Old 22 October 2000, 12:07 PM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

Mine does indeed read up to 180KPH what Im talking about is removing the speedo and having it recalibrated to read miles (IE sending it to the proper place to have it "wound back") I remember a thread about a company called Speedy Cables, anyone got any experience.

Ive got experience of the whole reduction gearbox thing and refuse to pay the price for said box of tricks, may as well do the job properly for that money.

Also, the prob with using a box of tricks is, you would then be clocking up miles on an odometer which has kilometres on it, and I assume thats illegal.

Rich
Old 24 October 2000, 04:24 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Richie

The opposite would be true.

Would you rather buy a car with an altered speedo, or one that showed a true reading and a certificate from a reputable company?

If the speedo has been tampered with, how do you know that an extra 50k weren't taken off in exchange for a brown envelope?
Old 25 October 2000, 02:47 AM
RichieC
Scooby Regular

I dont get your point Pete. Im saying I cannot sell a car which has had miles added onto Kms. When a buyer asks how many miles has it got, the answer will be 110Kms and then x amount of miles on top. Doesnt seem very easy to explain, and I for one would be dubious of it, certificate or not.

What Im ending up doing is removing from the car the dials and the cable, sending them away, having the clocks "wound back" to read miles (will now read 66,000miles) and the cable modded (reduction gearbox) to read miles from now on. In adition a MPH sticker is placed over the Kms on the speedo face. This all comes with a certificate to prove the car has been (what I would call) truly converted, ie Kms to miles not half a job.

This all comes for about £50 less than a gearbox converter from most sources and in my opinion is the only way of doing the job properly.

Thanks all for your suggestions, anyone who needs a car unrestricted/converted , let me know and Ill supply the details.

Richie