De-cat and Downpipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2000, 04:27 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Afternoon all!

After being told on iwoc that my MY94 WRX Wagon won't be on the emissions database, thus meaning that it don't need a cat at all. which is nice. I think I've got the original downpipe on the car though, so it's got at least one cat.

Anyway, I've got to thinking that one should really think about decatting the whole thing. I would therefore assume that all I need would be a nice shiny new downpipe (and equal length manifold might be nice as well ) Would I be correct about this? I'm sure that the channel tunnel extension that is pretending to be my center section has no cat it in, and I'm doubting the Hiper back box has one. Is this correct. (this is one of the reasons for my post about peeps at brands giving the beasty a quick once over)

Anyway, what downpipe would be best, seeing as the center section seems to be 3 inch wide, I think! also what benefits/pitfalls can one expect, apart from having to declare this to the insurance company?

thanks for any help
Old 12 October 2000, 05:03 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

I believe Scoobymanias new DP will be a nice one....and there's always the SS one.

IMHO the only thing that makes any real difference is to get that cat out of the way, and a better flowed exit around the WG.

/Jerry - Sweden - happy SS exhaust user.
Old 13 October 2000, 08:33 AM
barge
Scooby Regular

Markus,

I'm in the same position.

I have the HKS drain pipe system and have spoken to SS about their down pipe, Tony told me that they get their down pipes made and that its an extra few quid to get it to mate to the HKS system, I belive its a 3 week lead time. One of the reasons I spoke to SS was the are closeish to people in Kent, they will fit it and they have just serviced my car doing IMHO a very good job.

Just need to work out how to tell her indoors that the Scooby needs some more work doing on it !!
Old 13 October 2000, 09:47 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Barge

Our standard (if you can call it that ) downpipe will fit the HKS, but we also have some downpipe in manufacture that do not taper to 2.5", for customers already using the HKS 3" centre section.

We will have 3 in stock next week. Cost will be the same.
Old 13 October 2000, 02:20 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

hmmmmm i bought a second hand ss dp from this board.

then when tried to mate it to a magnex centre section it wouldnt fit.

According to falkland performance the standard ss dp is a 'cone' gasket attachment as per the standard scooby exhaust (using springs etc).
whereas the dp i bought off her is a two bolt + gasket affair similar to the hks one that i was using up to that point.
(i alreadu had the hks centre section).

So now im unsure whether i've got a scoobysport one or not !!!
I might pop over to ss to pick up some cibie bulbs and get them to check it at the same time.

Speaking of bulbs for the cibie, i managed to blow one of mine in a huge puddle the other day, thats two bulbs down in 1 week !
eeek.
Old 13 October 2000, 04:40 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

The SS DP does mate perfectly with the Magnex centre as thats what i have had for ages. The other problem to be aware of is that Magnex supply the wrong bolts with their centre section as this was the problem i had.

Like you say, you might not have a genuine pipe? Their is certainly no problem i know of with the SS DP mating with normal centre sections.