Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Power loss on cornering - Advise please.

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2000, 10:22 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I’ve had a bit of an un-nerving experience, which if it was a one off would not have bothered about. I just want to know if anyone else has had the same.

First time it happened I was travelling along an A road and come to a left hander. I lifted off slightly, turned in and accelerated again mid way around. The engine suddenly felt like I had cut the ignition. Loss of power and a very unsettling moment. It only lasted a couple of seconds then came back on OK. There was no danger as I wasn’t going particularly fast. Less than 60. The car was fine the rest of the way home.

This happened about six months ago and I had forgotten all about it. Then yesterday the same thing happened again. Left hander again (is this just a coincidence?) I don’t think was lifting off this time. Certainly not powering through, more like just cruising around. If felt like a fuel starvation, like the engine was dragging. Then a few seconds later back to normal. Again, I was not going very quickly and the revs for both times was less the 3000. Between 2000 and 2500 I think.

So, although I’m not overly worried I do wonder what would happen if it had occurred when I was going faster and it had affected my handling to a more dangerous degree.

Has anyone else suffered from this? FYI, I have a MY95 UK Turbo completely original. 108K miles and still going strong. Should I be worried?

Cheers all.
Old 05 October 2000, 11:04 AM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Could have been fuel surge

I have had this when cornering really hard with a low tank of fuel - quite normal.

First time it happened - thought i had blown the engine

Rich.

Old 05 October 2000, 09:57 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Someone reported this in a P1 too, and I think that there was a general concensus that it was caused by left hander/low fuel combining...
Old 06 October 2000, 08:31 AM
jwhitton
Scooby Regular

My MY00 UK spec also did this on a left hander.

jon
Old 06 October 2000, 09:19 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

I could except this, but at the time the fuel tank was nearly full. I don't think it was a low fuel problem, but definitly felt like fule starvation of some sort. I'll have to mention it to the guys at the next service.

Cheers all.
Old 06 October 2000, 09:39 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Question

I have had this a few times (<5) on my MY98 when driving quite hard coming out of both left and right hand corners, I initially put it down to overboost or possibly an ECU mapping 'bug' as it feels like you've got no boost even though there's about 3K on the tacho, also this has only ever happened in 2nd gear.

Perhaps someone with a detailed understanding of the scooby powerplant could explain this.

AndrewC...
Old 06 October 2000, 04:24 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Had same problem, but immediately after coming off a roundabout (sharp right 180 deg. turn)

Fuel tank was v.low.

Cakked my pants!

Problem went away (power loss, not the cak! ) almost a soon as it happened.

Rich

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2000, 06:31 PM
CharliePsycho
Scooby Regular

I was just about to go to my dealer on this one... Half a tank of fuel, go once around a large roundabount in 2nd (fairly fast) then boot it on an exit.

It feels like you've blown the engine, then a second later back it comes.

Real strange, if it is fuel starvation it's a pisser on half a tank, but I don't think it is, as I have had fuel starvation on track days where the loads are much higher... but on a track day you are cornering at 80 in third, not 50 in 2nd...

I'll let you know what the garage says (probably they'll say that they need to report it, and never get back to me... again...)

P.S. I've got a P1, so the above post about a P1 was interesting...