Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2000, 11:22 AM
Stroudy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

95 WRX, 38K on the clock.

I wondering if anyone can help with this ?
Basically just lately I've been experiencing slight clutch judder whilst changing down through the gears..

I have booked my car in for a service, and asked if this could also be explained after a test drive (which hasen't happened yet). It was suggested by the garage that this will most likely be due to a cracked flywheel ? could this be ? a common problem with the WRX due to the the amount of touque and heat built up. It was also suggested that even after a replacement flywheel and clutch have been fitted, after a few thousand miles, the judder would most likely re-appear ? could this really be the case ? Am I going to have to change my clutch & flywheel every few thousand, because they eat clutches ?

If this is the case, is it worth fitting uprated components first time around ?

If so any recommendations ?

I have been quoted £895 supplied & fitted for flywheel & clutch..

Is it safe to drive with a cracked flywheel ?

Thanks....

Kev

[This message has been edited by Stroudy (edited 04 October 2000).]
Old 03 October 2000, 11:36 PM
Steve Lawson
Scooby Regular

Hi Stroudy,

The only time I have ever seen a cracked flywheel,by this I mean surface cracks and this applies to Imps and Legacy Turbos is when the clutch has been slipping and the flywheel surface has got very hot.I suspect that the flywheel will probably just need a skim due to the judder problem.Current favorite clutch I am told is the AP one.Will be fitting one on Saturday to a slightly off white car .Do you want me to let you know how it feels/performs.Failing that I am sure someone out there will be able to give you first hand experience.

Regards

Steve
Old 04 October 2000, 04:33 AM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

G'day stroudy. I've an MY94 and it does exactly the same thing and is noticable both when talking off slowly AND changing down in the gears. It only happens when cold however and goes away when hot. Is this the case with you???? I've been told that this is common with subies and is not a problem because of the friction material they use. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 04 October 2000, 01:48 PM
Stroudy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve, please do keep me informed on how you new clutch goes.. I'm booked in for my service on 20th, so I'll see what they think after a test drive, will definitely need something done, hoping the flywheel will just need a skim.
I too had the AP clutch recommended to me yesterday apposed to the standard.

Gerg2 must admit, mine started once it had been on a longish run, changing down after this. I think now it's just getting more noticable the longer I leave it ?
It never had a judder when I first had the car, so I'm hoping it can be fixed.. I'll let you know...

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Stroudy (edited 04 October 2000).]