Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which Filter

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2000, 01:51 PM
Ady Booth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this issue has been raised on numerous occasions and I have trawled the archives but I have to ask the following:-

Panel Filter + Resonator box removal?
Induction Kit?

Which is the best from a point of performance and cost.

I have read somewhere that from a BHP point of view there's not much in it.
I also want to keep the cost under £100 (therefore not Blitz etc)

Your views and experiences would be greately appreciated.

Ady
Old 17 August 2000, 02:18 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

I suspect that the K+N 57i kit for your scooby would give the best results for under £100. The kit is about 65 to 70 pounds.
Old 17 August 2000, 04:11 PM
barge
Scooby Regular

What about getting the K+N and doing the Resonator box removal ??

Would this work ??

Old 17 August 2000, 05:23 PM
Doug
Scooby Regular

A couple of questions to you clever peeps.

If you remove the Resonator box, do you leave the air box sucking in air from inside the wing? or is there a mod available to link the air box to the plastic intake by the headlight?

Are there any dis-advantages to removal of the resonator? I have a MY99 with ITG filter and SS back box.

Cheers

Doug

Old 17 August 2000, 09:07 PM
Badger
Scooby Regular

Barge when you fit the induction kit the resonator becomes redundant anyway.
Doug i removed the reasonator from my MY99 & left the air to be sucked from under the wing without any problems, apart from the induction noise, which the area under the wing seems to amplify & this can be intrusive on a long run. (its even louder than the full de-cat exhaust system when using the go pedal to its maximum ).
If anybody has found a source of ducting to fit the air box does it reduce the induction noise ?.
Old 17 August 2000, 09:21 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

When I was experimenting - I removed the resonator and covered up the hole in the wing - simply on the grounds that the air would be warmer if it was coming from the engine bay (other threads I have since read seem to indicate that this has little effect, but I guess it is personal choice).

I also fitted a piece of flexible aluminium hose inside the wing (attached either side of the support brakcet). This was shaped to collect air from the bottom of the front spoiler and direct it onto the filter.

Sounded great, but to get a real improvement in the amount of air being drawn into the filter you have to increase the surface area of the filter which really means going for a complete cone rather than just removing the resonator.

The things I did were cheap and easy, if you want a more noticable increase in performance, you need to spend a little more cash.

Chris
Old 17 August 2000, 10:00 PM
Doug
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Guys

I'll probably try and remove the resonator this W/end, and give it a try.

Any tips for easy removal.
Old 17 August 2000, 10:39 PM
Quaff
Scooby Newbie

Smile

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris L:

I'm new to the board, was interested in what has been said about filters.

Bigger filters don't equal more BHP, it's the other way round more BHP the bigger the filter you need. It has nothing to do with surface area only the fact that cars pulling 300+ can collapse smaller filters.

In terms of performance the PX with vector top will give more efficient air flow, other than that, they are all very much the same (inc PX).

imho

Old 18 August 2000, 08:05 AM
Ady Booth
Scooby Regular

Doug,

Let me know how you get on at weekend removing your resonator box.

Ady

Old 18 August 2000, 08:12 AM
Ady Booth
Scooby Regular

Does anybody know of any sites which show comparison between various filters (graphs etc.)???
Old 18 August 2000, 08:20 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I used a piece of plastic plumbing pipe with a 90 degree bend to move the intake forward a bit.

It does reduce the noise a bit. But I'm gonna' remove it again - it may be (is?!) pure psychological tosh, but I reckon the throttle response is better without the additional bend in the intake

Does anyone know how much air is flowed at full chat with a standard MY99? Don't even know what the measurement would be in...litres/minute?

I personally wouldn't use a standard panel filter without the resonator box (how strong is the paper?) & make sure you clean it frequently to remove the dead bugs and things that get blasted onto the filter!
Old 20 August 2000, 11:53 PM
schuey
Scooby Regular

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but try Scoobysport.(www.scoobysport.co.uk) and their exhaust section.
I've got an ITG filter fitted.

Old 14 September 2000, 05:46 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Hello All,

I did the same like Chris (fitted a self-made plastic hose from under the Front Spoiler to the Air Filter)

I can recommend the APEX'i 'Power Intake' filter as it's much, much cheaper than the Blitz and has the advantage of being a 'dry-type' filter, thus reducing the risk of oil getting sucked on the Air meter (I already had a problem with this with a J&R filter)

Also a cheap&useful option is a J-Speed Air Filter box (sorry, not available in Europe, you gotta go to Japan to get one) especially made for the Imp, which keeps the heat coming from the turbo away from the filter.

Check out :
Old 14 September 2000, 05:57 PM
Alberick
Scooby Regular

Umm,

Before I forget, another useful item for cooling the intake air at the intercooler is found at :
Old 14 September 2000, 07:54 PM
BladeRnnr
Scooby Regular

Cool

Alberick ......the item you are talking about looks like an underbonnet tray with an Intercooler splitter built in.

If anyone wants more information please e-mail me as the webmaster and members dont want any hard selling......Not that i Would....!!(please mark e-mails 'Splitter'..Thanks)

regards

mike f.