Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Changing gear

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2000, 08:13 AM
Adan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a MY00 turbo and have done just over 2000 miles in it.

The gear box seems very precise and firm compared to my previous car. When going from 2nd to 3rd I sometimes feel a slight sticking/catching sensation as I go through the gate into 3rd. If I remember, and put the clutch pedal right to the floor it doesn't do it but it isn't necessary to press the pedal so far for other gear changes. It happens more often when I'm accelerating slowly than quickly!

I'm going to have a word with the garage soon (as the cassette player has broken already!) but since it is quite a subtle and intermittent effect he may well not spot it. If he does he may say that its just because its new and will wear in with time. I'd like to have confidence if he does that this is the case. Your comments appreciated.

Also, when changing down any gear sequence and using a bit of engine braking, the car makes more noise than I would expect as the engine matches the wheels. You know the noise I mean, all cars do it. Maybe this is because its a more powerful engine?

Adan

ps very glad to see the board back up - If it wasn't for you people I wouldn't have a scoob and my face wouldn't be stuck in a perpetual grin when I drive it.
Old 04 August 2000, 04:25 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Adan,

I would give it a little longer. My MY00 has 15k on now and is still notchy. In fact I think it always will be due to the short and close nature of the box. Ask your dealer to note your observation and monitor it if you really think something is not right.

As regards engine braking I would agree that it sometimes sounds like you've just put it into first!!

The best solution to both these points is to get yourself to a meet or trackday and ask some other MY00 owners to take you for a spin to compare.

Otis.
Old 04 August 2000, 04:42 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Adan

I had my MY00 for about 6 months now, done about 8000 miles. Can't say I've noticed the catching you mentioned when changing gear (although my last car was a 306 S16 which had a heavy clutch and fairly notchy gearbox when cold and the Subaru's is much cleaner and smoother).

I've noticed the noise when changing down and using engine breaking - don't think there is much to worry about there.

As Otis has said, if you are concerned take it to your dealer and get him to go out with you. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Chris