Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ScoobySport downpipe fitted yesterday and......

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2000, 03:41 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

This is not just a plug for Pete Croney at ScoobySport, but a recommendation for the downpipe modification in general.

Until yesterday my car was a standard MY99 with a ScoobySport backbox supplying the musical entertainment. I thought long and hard before going for a d/p, but one quick demo in Pete's car S600BY S sold it to me. I decided to leave the existing centre section alone as the decat option would mean I could never (cheaply) return my car to complete standard. I went for the SS d/p because of my satisfaction with their existing backbox, Pete's reputation, and ScoobySports locality. Pete took ~2 hours to complete installation (recommended as would have been too difficult for me to do alone). He also replaced several damaged fixing bolts free of charge - where other places may have just botched it up.

24 hours later and I am delighted, I cannot wait for the weekend. The first thing you notice from inside the cabin is the turbo whistle is SO MUCH more audible. Press the throttle lightly from idle and the turbo starts singing immediately. The second thing you notice is throttle response, the car being much more free revving. Wind down the windows you then hear the bestial burble - not much louder inside the car, but the noise from outside is awesome. Then comes the performance. The car feels slightly faster in low to mid range, but the real gains are seen above 5000rpm. Without the d/p, my engine never pulled above 6000. Now it pulls and pulls to the red line. Dyno runs may not show much gain in bhp/torque, but from the drivers you feel it.

Buy one, you wont be dissapointed.

:
Old 19 May 2000, 04:01 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Now put a Blitz induction kit on (and have 2nd thoughts about the mid section) and you'll have the full orchestra !
Old 19 May 2000, 05:39 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Smile

Glad you like the exhaust. Is the removal of the cat in the dp's legal? or do the Scooby sport dp's come with a modified cat.

Is the Blitz induction kit reliable as it will be taking hot air from the engine bay?

Cheers,

P
Old 19 May 2000, 07:44 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I've heard of Scoobies passing MOTs (just) with the midsection cat only in place.

It would only be illegal if it put your noise or exhaust emissions outside MOT requirements.

As for the Blitz, acceleration is much smoother and pulls stronger above 5000rpm.

If you look at a standard filter/box the intake (routed through the wing) has a relatively small inlet (starting at the grill). This pretty much dictates how much air is available to the filter. Being open, the Blitz has far far more surface area to pull air through from. I *think* while on the move there is enough "fresh" air to not be adversely affected by the lack of a feed from the front. ALTHOUGH.. I've checked and I could still fit the feeder pipe back on after the Blitz is fitted.

I'm investing in a set of scoops to replace the blanked out intakes in the bonnet for sunny days.
Old 19 May 2000, 09:13 PM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Orville,

Congratulations with your upgrade! Sounds like you are very pleased with it.

I've been considering fitting an SS DP too but my main worry is the warranty. I've got a UK MY00 so full 3 year of warranty to go.

Could you let me know how you dealt with this issue? Please e-mail me direct if possible.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrei
Old 19 May 2000, 09:59 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Same and different; I've got one year's warranty left but then would be coming up to MOTs, which means emissions tests. There seems to be a difference of opinion here about whether or not a Scoob minus one cat would pass - can anyone give the definitive answer?

BJH
Old 20 May 2000, 09:32 PM
sam
Scooby Newbie

Brendan,
If your scooby a import you can get away with not having a cat test,as there is no WRX or STI's on any MOT testers equipment.
A UK car must have a cat to pass the the MOT, the one to keep is the 1st one which does all the work.

Old 21 May 2000, 12:40 AM
sam
Scooby Newbie

Lightbulb

Subarurussian
As a possible alternative have a look at
Old 21 May 2000, 12:49 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Sounds interesting. Any views on the warranty implications?
Old 21 May 2000, 01:23 AM
Subarussian
Scooby Regular

Sam - does it make sense to change to a di-cat mid section whilst keeping the std down pipe? What will it do (if anything) to performance and sound? I understand that most people here upgrade as follows: FIRST - backbox, THEN - dp, and LAST - mid section. Any views?

What about the warranty then? DP vs mid section?
Old 21 May 2000, 09:01 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Prodrive remove the mid/rear cat as part of the Performance pack - will still pass MOT/emissions. Go for a non-silenced one (Scorpion are about the only ones still available - £69 from Motech) and you will notice performance (and audible) improvement!
Old 21 May 2000, 04:45 PM
sam
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Subarussian.
The back box from scoobysport is the only one i know of that does not invalidate the warranty.

[This message has been edited by sam (edited 21-05-2000).]
Old 22 May 2000, 12:47 AM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Orville

How much all in did you pay at SS ?.

Regards
Jason
Old 22 May 2000, 08:04 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

All non-OE (or prodrive fitted) backboxes/exhausts or any modification 'SHOULD' invalidate the warrenty. Some dealers are more sympathetic than others about reputable good - ie SS Backboxes.

'Rumour' has it that a dealer not far from me might 'turn a blind eye' for downpipe, centre pipe, induction kit, non standard brakes..... but its only a rumour

It pays to get a close relationship with your dealer - got to be biggest advantage of a UK sourced car!!
Old 22 May 2000, 10:03 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

OEM Backboxes don't invalidate your warranty, but downpipes do. (Unless they're prodrive supplied & fitted)

[This message has been edited by DavidBrown (edited 22-05-2000).]
Old 22 May 2000, 10:21 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I had a ScoobySport backbox and downpipe fitted to my MY97 car. I was concerned about passing the MOT due in August, so I had it checked out.

I took the car to Power Engineering, and stuck it on the rollers. The emmissions would have only just failed the idle test, but an MOT centre would then take it to 2,500rpm to re-test. It would have passed then.

So a car with a downpipe might fail the idle test, but will pass the 2,500rpm test. The car needs to be warmed up before it will pass. From cold, the car WILL fail!!! The MOT station I would have used is a while-u-wait place, so ample time to warm up the car!!

Bear in mind I was running 95 octane fuel and the car has quite high mileage (57,000 miles) Although I'm unsure if running Super, and having lower mileage will be in your favour or not!

To solve the problem I'm now getting a MY99 car, and taking off both the cats!!! Two and half years until MOT time, rather than 3 months!!!

Hope this helps
Andy
Old 22 May 2000, 10:26 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

I forgot to add, that when I got my downpipe it was.... WOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!

I was very happy with the improvement in pick up. I think the best example, was as I pulling out of the ScoobySport garage, I drove the car like before. As I went round the corner, the steped out on the corner, as the turbo had spun up a lot quicker than before!!

I enjoyed the improved exhaust note after the backbox, and had the downpipe fitted after a week!! I was amazed at the improvement, and would recommend it to anyone!!

I'm getting a MY99 car to replace my MY97, and I will be putting the SS backbox & downpipe on it. I also have a Magnex mid-section in my garage waiting to go on as well!!

As for the warrenty side of things, find an understanding dealer!!!

Andy
Old 22 May 2000, 10:28 AM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Warranty - and European law.
There are several myths regarding dealer warranty. One is that you only retain warranty if you use official dealers for servicing - wrong. Another is that you must use OEM parts - also incorrect. If for example one of my pistons melted and the engine went pop, I would expect Subaru to replace/repair the damaged parts. Only if they can prove my exaust modification caused this problem I would expect a bill. If Subaru argued the point, I would happily get an independent inspection and persue matters further.

I have never heard of an exaust mod causing engine problems on an Impreza. I would think that allowing the engine to breath properly puts less stress on the internals.
Old 22 May 2000, 01:01 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Prices on the website
Old 22 May 2000, 01:11 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Jason,
I paid about £350 fitted and fully inclusive. You can buy the part seperately and get it fitted elsewhere, but I think it is best to get someone used to working on Imprezas to do it.
Old 22 May 2000, 03:49 PM
Martin Cook
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have an MY99 and my local dealer actually quoted me to fit a SS down pipe.
Cost I think was £275.00 fitted.
If you mail me i'll tell you which dealer it was.

Martin
Old 24 May 2000, 01:28 AM
Lee Ng
Scooby Regular

Question

Hello Sam,

Going back to what you posted earlier on in this thread.
Because imports aren't on the MOT computers, does that mean that they will be passed with no CATS?
I too am going down the HKS route & would like to know if you have had any probs getting your MOT without replacing the old downpipe.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Lee Ng (edited 24-05-2000).]
Old 24 May 2000, 10:36 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Lee,

Why not try to get hold of a UK mid-section?

As long as it's warmed up, you should be ok!

I've been known to be wrong before, but I'm sure someone else will correct me if I am!!

Andy
Old 25 May 2000, 12:55 PM
Lee Ng
Scooby Regular

Hi Andy,

I've only just got my Hiper Muffler system, so I'm gonna want to use this exspensive bit of kit first
I would dearly love to add the downpipe, but just can't be assed to keep changing it come MOT time
Old 25 May 2000, 07:56 PM
sam
Scooby Newbie

Lee
I've only had my WRX for a short while bought it from a import garage so it came with a new MOT and passed with no cats fitted.
First thoughts were that it must be illegal,cant have passed without any cats.
So i took the scooby to a Ford Dealer asked would they MOT my WRX,at first the answer was no but would speak to the DOT to confirm.
After a short while i got a answer that they had spoken to the DOT, to which the reply was because there is no exact match for the WRX on there system a cat test will not apply,and to follow the procedure as laid out in the MOT tester Flow charts.
Lee, for peace of mind do the same,let me know how you get on.
Old 25 May 2000, 08:06 PM
sam
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sam:
[B]Lee
I've only had my WRX for a short while bought it from a import garage so it came with a new MOT and passed with no cats fitted.
So i took the scooby to a Ford Dealer asked would they MOT my WRX,at first the answer was no but would speak to the DOT to confirm.
After a short while i got a answer that they had spoken to the DOT, to which the reply was because there is no exact match for the WRX on there system a cat test will not apply,and to follow the procedure as laid out in the MOT tester Flow charts.
Lee, for peace of mind do the same,let me know how you get on.

This does not apply to all imports as some do appear on the MOT tester equipment,a as such will be cat tested.

Old 26 May 2000, 02:05 AM
Lee Ng
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I will investigate further, before I order a downpipe
Old 28 June 2000, 07:01 PM
sam
Scooby Newbie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sam:

Old 28 June 2000, 07:03 PM
sam
Scooby Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by sam:

Lee, for peace of mind do the same,let me know how you get on.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>