Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Replace syncromesh on 4th&5th gear...trans out job?

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2000, 02:38 PM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the transmission have to come out to replace / inspect 4th&5th gear syncro?

Will the clutch / flywheel be exposed for inspection?

Thanks.
Old 26 June 2000, 11:48 PM
Gerg2
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Apparantly to replace it you have to....dont know about inspecting. My local dealer quoted me $400 (Aussie) in labour costs to replace 1st syncromesh becuase they said the whole drivetrain had to come apart to get it out.....unless I've been misled (Anyone know any different?). After hearing that I decided it isnt currently bad enough to replace and I hardly use 1st anyway.
Old 27 June 2000, 08:08 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

My sti 5 is currently in getting a fourth gear synchro ring fitted, and were using it as an opportunity to ccheck the state of the flywheel as well, its only another half dozen bolts or so.

As to that quaife ATB what on earth does that do and what does it cost??
Old 27 June 2000, 12:28 PM
pat
Scooby Regular

The easiest way to do the job is to remove the transmission... undo and remove the prop shaft, split the front suspension legs from the wishbones, pop out the roll pins that hold the drive shafts on the front diff's splined shafts and pull off the shafts, undo the gear linkage then unbolt the box from the back of the engine and drop it out. Easily said, takes a bit of work in practice!

You'll expose the clutch in the process, so it could be inpected / replaced... you'll also have the front and centre diffs off the car, perfect excuse to fit a Quaife ATB (automatic torque biasing, like a torsen) diff to the front :-)

Hope this helps,

Pat.
Old 27 June 2000, 02:12 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

ptholt,

I am getting a quaife atb fitted to my car whilst the gearbox is being inspected (I believe the front diff has failed). The quaife atb is a torsen style limited slip differential unit identical to the design used on the rover tomcat front-wheel drive. They use torsen style diffs on the front of the Evo 5 and 6, and, IIRC, also in the transmissions on the Lancia Delta Integrale and the Audi Coupe... all good 4wd cars.

Can I suggest that you wait for at least a couple of weeks so that muggins here (and probably Simon De Banke) can give you some genuinely useful feedback based on actual real world use of the aforementioned diff on the front of a scooby. I still expect to find some drawbacks in fitting this unit (cynical me), so I can't yet say whether or not it's worth the expense.

There is still a small chance that using this diff will ruin my car's feel and handling... but I am going to risk this... you don't have to, just ask me about it in a few weeks time.

Moray
Old 28 June 2000, 12:36 AM
JamesS
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply guys......I was asking because my Dealer has OK`d the car to be booked in for 4th&5th gear syncro replacement but refuses to budge on the clutch (I get very bad judder from COLD - dealer will only replace when hot judder occurs!) So if it can be inspected during the syncro job lovely!