Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Backbox and Filter combo

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2000, 11:17 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I've been contemplating replacing the exhaust and air filter on my RB5 for some time but can't make up my mind what to fit.

I could go down the SS/ITG route, but has anyone any experience of the Blitz NUR-spec backbox and induction kit. The pics of the Blitz stuff
Old 23 May 2000, 11:29 PM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the K&N panel filter on my MY97 Turbo with a K&N cone filter about 2 months ago. The biggest change is the increase in 'noises' under the bonnet! A tinkly sound as the turbo spins up, building into a nice sucking noise as the boost builds. You also get a noticable whoosh between gears as the dump valve does its thing.

Performance wise, the turbo seems to spin up quicker, but maybe it is just the fact that it is more audible now? However, the car definately pulls more smoothly and freely up at the top end.

I believe the benefits are to be had from a larger filtration area, meaning that the turbo has to work less hard to pull air into the engine. Added to that the removal of the restrictive pipework in the standard airbox. Lastly throttle response should be improved as there should now be a greater volume of air held downstream of the filter, meaning that there is more clean air available already in the system as soon as you request it. (Not entirely convinced by this last point though!)

Have you investigated the BPM Twister backbox? I've heard some very interesting things about it and would certainly investigate it myself if I was in the market right now.

Hope my waffling helps!

Andrew
Old 23 May 2000, 11:30 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way. What I'm really wanting is :-

1. Reduced turbo lag and a much better throttle response.

2. A good deep boom from the exhaust. The std one does turn heads, but only if the engines screaming at 6000rpm.

3. A much more noticable turbo whistle

It would be a great help if anyone has a chronological list of mods made to their cars and the differences it made.

Thanks again,
Stefan
Old 23 May 2000, 11:35 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andrew, I'll check out the BPM backbox although I haven't heard anyone mention it so far.

The only thing that might out me off the Blitz exhaust is the tail pipe. Don't know how big it is, but it looks bloody huge in the pic.

Stefan
Old 24 May 2000, 10:21 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

IMHO (and it is only a personal opinion)

I think those huge blitz tailpipes look stupid.

The kind of thing you see on the back of a Max Powered Corsa or something.

A 3-4" tailpipe is plenty good enough, anything else is macho "how big is my *****" nonsense.
Old 24 May 2000, 10:35 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Have to agree David, and don't worry I'm not interested in your ***** size
Old 24 May 2000, 10:40 AM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

The blitz backbox is a very personal thing, the tailpipe is about 6 inch and looks like you have put a galvanised bucket on LOL

I havent heard too much about the new BPM either as it has only just been released i think, but they may be a bit pricey, not sure, again, its new so dont know.

If you want much less turbo lag and the turbo to sound more , a different downpipe would make the biggest difference, but would decat the car unless you leave the centre cat on ? nearly all the aftermarket exhaust make the car sound much better, some are a lot more boomy than others, and can get very annoying.

FYI I have scoobysport back box, centre section and ITG filter and i am quite happy with the sound, and performance increases are probably about 5-10 BHP although its difficult to tell, as rolling roads are not exactly the most reliable means of checking,
Old 24 May 2000, 02:36 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hi Stefan.

I'm running a Scorpion system, which seems to give a slightly deeper rumble than a SS one, if that's what you're after.
I also run a K&N induction kit which allows you to hear the turbo whoosh without being too obtrusive. Overall an excellent soundtrack!
Highly recommended combo.

Stef.