Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Fishy

Search this Thread

Old 03 May 2000, 10:36 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

They say that only a limited number of things smell like fish and one of them is my clutch.

Ever since I hit the redline in third whilst only moving at about 30mph (don't ask ) my clutch has not been quite right.

Symptoms - no obvious slip, gears engage OK, but once in a while for no reason at all I am overcome by fishy clutch smell - Park Lane think the engagement point is a bit high, sometimes get the smell if I am pressing on a bit, but slipping tests show it is OK.

My guess is that I have reduced the clamping force somehow - tempered springs? - but what do I know about how clutches work?

Any advice would be appreciated - e.g. should I replace it as it will fail shortly? Are the symptoms known? Is it just the clutch or other bits that need replaced? If I replace the clutch with an AP (and don't do an accidental clutch burn) will this fix the problem - or will I need to check other components as well?

Cheers,

R
Old 03 May 2000, 11:13 AM
swa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rannoch, oooopps
How the hell did you manage that ??
I have a MY2000 with 2500miles on it. I have had a bad sickening smell twice from it. The first was when I had to reverse out of a tight and steep driveway. The other time was similar except at a steep junction and I gave it just a little bit too much welly (not exessive though). I suppose mine is possibly still bedding in as I dont tend to boot it a whole lot in 1st gear.

Swa