Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox Woes.....

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2000, 10:18 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

As some of you may know, I recently had a new gearbox fitted to my car when third gear decided to disintegrate!!!!
Normal IM procedure is apparently to just replace damaged gears etc, but the overall damage was so bad I got a new box. Fine, I thought. The car has been used on track and at The Pod, but even so I thought 49,000 miles was a bit measly. It gets worse....
Almost immediately after having the new box, it started making a whining noise in first gear, similar to a reversing whine. I called the dealer to be told not to worry, they'd have a look when it comes in for it's engine valet (ready for the mag thing ).
The noise got worse, and occured even when the clutch was engaged. New noises also appeared in gears 1-3 when driving normally, similar to dragging cans behind the car, but very quiet.
I was getting very concerned, so called Subaru Assistance (so as to get a decent car when it went to the dealer!) and off it went.
They were horrified at the noise, but eventually diagnosed it as a faulty bearing. I didn't understand either!!!
The new part was ordered and I've been in a Vectra for the past week.
But today, they finally finished the fitting of the new bearing and.......you guessed it.....it had done sod all to the noise!!!
If anything it is worse!
They are at a loss, and will be putting in for another new gearbox after the hols.
Has anybody else experienced anything remotely like this with their box, or am i just unlucky?
The first box perhaps, but a brand new one?????
In case you're wondering, the noise was there before the last Pod and didn't get worse afterwards.
I look forward to receiving my JD Power questionaire.

Stef.