Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pete...
Old 28 February 2000, 09:54 AM
david
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi Guys,

I've developed a rubbing noise while on full left hand lock in reverse, I've looked under the wheel arches whilst on full lock but can't see anything, also, while driving round roundabouts enthusiastically, I get the same noise (so this is on the other lock), I have standard 16" wheels with Toyo Proxes T1-S (standard size) and also have standard Leda B setup. My car is an STi V.

Any words of wisdom out there?

Cheers,

Dave
Old 07 March 2000, 03:31 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Following up on this problem, I have been back to David Hendry cars to investigate the Constant velocity Joints, the mechanics said they appeared fine, I have investigated the possibility of brake (Brembo's) noise, pads half worn, disks and pads have done 30,000 miles but all appears fine. One item David Hendry Cars pointed out was a potential rubbing of the bolts (that hold the brake bracket onto the car) on the disk, but we have had the disks off today and put the correct bolts on and still I get the noise.

I still get the rubbing noise, it sounds like metal on metal on full left hand lock in reverse, and also, more increasingly when normal driving round tightish corners.

Regarding the noise supposed to come from an knackerd CV joint, there is no clicking, only a harsh grinding noise.

I have completely run out of ideas as to what could be causing the noise, so again, does anyone have any other ideas as to the source of the noise?

Scoobymania - could you email me your hourly rates to investigate such problems?

Many thanks for any much needed help.

Dave
Old 07 March 2000, 04:12 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Wheel bearings ?
Old 07 March 2000, 04:24 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Question

Cem,

If it was wheel bearings, would I not hear the noise all the time?

Dave
Old 07 March 2000, 04:30 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Hi,
No, when mine went, I only heard it when I was turning right. It happened after a track day. Have you had a track day recently?
Cem
Old 07 March 2000, 04:50 PM
david
Scooby Regular

Cem,

Never ever done a track day in my car (too worried about det) and all things considered I think I drive my car quite gently. But thanks for the pointer, I might well have the bearings replaced to illiminate another possible source, (who nows, you might have hit the nail on the head )

It concerns me that when you develop a noise and discuss it (and demonstrate it) with various garages, the stock answer is 'Don't know mate, it's nothing we've done'. This is a problem with owning a grey I suppose, you can't take it down the dealers and simply leave it there till it's fixed.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Dave