Welcome to my world

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2000, 06:45 PM
Possum Fink
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello,

my name is Possum Fink and I am new to these parts. I was wondering if it would be useful to have a place where we could all post our interesting thoughts about my cousin POSSUM LINK?

I have heard all sorts of things about how he is getting on over here and I would be pleased if we could share any useful information here without fear or favour, pride or prejudice.

It would be good to talk.

Just a couple of thoughts tho', it would be good if we didn't muddy the water with who's and why's, just stick with what's and how's.

So, what are your thoughts?

To get the ball rolling I have a question.

What is the benefit of fitting a three-way boost solenoid - I have heard it does good things, but what are the advantages?

Possum Fink

[This message has been edited by Possum Fink (edited 25-02-2000).]
Old 25 February 2000, 07:17 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

PF,

Would it not be a better start by posting with your proper "handle" rather than a dodgy alias ?

I would welcome an additional forum for engine management systems (or similar) which has recently been suggested elsewhere...

Thanks

Gavin

Old 25 February 2000, 08:55 PM
Possum Fink
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Gavin,

looking at your question here, and your post in the 'other' thread I have two questions for you.

1) What constitutes a dodgy alias?

firefox - is that a real name?

What about Rannoch, Black Cat, Bob, John, Billy, DYNT or Andy, there are many people who post here under aliases.

There are also many real people who post under their real names and we don't know who they are, or who/what they represent. Just cos' someone has a real name doesn't add any increased veracity or sincerity to their post; anymore than a, perhaps, amusing semi-homonym can be used to try and bring back a little levity and focus of the BBS to real issues, that affect real drivers of real Imprezas.

Remember this and remember it well - we are a strange and disparate bunch of people who truly love a very, very special car. Nothing more, nothing less.

This BBS has worked wonders in bringing good people together who love their cars - how many will be at Donington this time - 300+. It has seen great times, good times and some worrying times - for example, imports and fuel quality.

This BBS is a superb resource - it has been fun, revealing, enlightening, frustrating and sometimes very, very sad. Whatever, most of us keep coming back - even when we are profoundly angered by someone's view or politic.

Nevertheless - it is the content and the community that makes this place in cyberspace work.

It is what people say, what they contribute and how. It is not what people are called.

2) My second question is simpler - why did you reintroduce politics to simple attempt to provide people a place to post about an important subject without fear or favour?

So, Possum Fink having attempted to provide a little light hearted focus will now sign-off as he is not wanted

Goodbye BBS

Possum Fink
Old 25 February 2000, 08:57 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Question

These aliases wont get you much help my friend....sort it out.

We all know who Firefox, DYNT, etc etc are as real individuals and you should NOT use them as examples as we all know who they are (unlike YOU)....this is exactly the sort of thing we are trying to get away from on this BBS....and you're not helping.

Anyhow, my (extremely) basic understanding is that the three-port solenoid allows more accurate control over boost levels than the (newer?) two-port solenoid.

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 25-02-2000).]
Old 25 February 2000, 09:17 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Sorry I fail to see the problem with someone using an alias, if they start posting stuff we dont approve of we can disable their account, or mail them and ask them to stop.
Old 25 February 2000, 09:20 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Sunil,

off track, but what the hell - does this mean we will all have to submit passport photo's to prove that we are real to register

What should I do, send in a little photograph of Rannoch Moor - of course you wouldn't recognise me at the moment as I am covered in snow

Cheers,

Rannoch
Old 25 February 2000, 11:08 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Oi... muppet...

Dont bring me into this...

I cause enough ****e on my own..

Ian.. gonna ban me ? Now I would like to see that... *grins*

J.
Old 26 February 2000, 12:15 AM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

PF,

My intention for my posting was not to increase politics - far from it but I concede that it could be interpreted that way.

I also admit that I missed the humour element of your posting completely - my apologies - it had been a very long day!

I personally find it frustrating that to find the "gold" in the BBS (and we all know it's there), it is now necessary to dig through all of the cr*p (and the subsequent responses) from people posting provocative comments "anonymously" and then retreating back into the shadows...although it is unfair to put you in this category.

Anyhow, as I said in my original post - I do welcome the idea - is there any chance Ian ?

Thanks

Gavin
Old 26 February 2000, 01:22 AM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Unhappy

What is all the paranoia with alias's. PF asked a sensible question.

Like Ian said, if someone starts abusing the bbs, he/she's account will be dissabled.

PF is obviously known to us by another name, and personally I thought the "name" was quite amusing, given the recent threads.

Why do we always seem to go round in a vicious circle, instead of getting on with some productive threads ????.

I'd rather have a decent conversation with Micky Mouse, than a pointless one with......well whoever !!!!!.

As for 2/3 way valves. I'm not certain why, but it seems that the 3 way reacts far more quickly to pressure changes, and is therefore better at controlling overboost.

The Possum allows you to spin the turbo up much more quickly, but this means you need much quicker valve control to stop it overboosting.

The 3 way upgrade is recommended by Possum Bourne, after they found the new 2 way valve to be causing havoc.

Mark.

Old 26 February 2000, 12:16 PM
Anders
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I post "in haste" at night and edit when I wake up!

I am who I am!
Old 26 February 2000, 01:16 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I actually thought PF was quite amusing!
What's wrong with that?

Stef.
Old 26 February 2000, 01:27 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Gavin, I need to speak to Phil properly on this new thread thing, we would have to have a pretty hefty disclaimer on it, as if someone followed instructions and did blow up their car, who are they going to sling the blame at??? Its a bit of a mine field !

There does seem to be a massive seesaw effect on the BBS, one minute someone is flavour of the month, then a few things go wrong and they are satans brother in law its happened to nearly every single tuner or supplier on here, just look at what happened with Zymol and Mark !!!!!

If we (admins) decide a thread has gone far enough we get criticised for closing it, or not, as the case may be, so what exactly do YOU want ? May be better to start this in another thread though, we get enough going waaaaaay of topic as it is

Old 26 February 2000, 02:22 PM
Possum Fink
Scooby Newbie

Talking

He shoots, he scores!

Gavin,

apology accepted so I had to come back to at least say that.

The heart of your message is that we don't need to, or want to wade thru' cr*p to get to the gold - and that is the only point I was trying to make.

Sunil,

I don't get your point. There are people with nicknames that we know, some that we don't. There are apparently 'real' names that look real, but are pseudonyms.

There are also lots of real people, with real names that none of us know, have met, or possible will ever meet. A rose, etc...

I just thought my own name to be be quite FUN - as Robert Plant says whilst singing Stairway to Heaven - 'Remember Laughter?'.

So, having broken my own rules, back on thread - it's much more fun.

Sunil/Mark - three boost solenoid - is this a standard Scoony part, or aftermarket. Is there only one type - or are there many - how do they compare.

Mark - I would guess you have one fitted - before or after Possum Link - did you notice the difference?

Yours Faithfully,

Possum Fink
Old 26 February 2000, 02:52 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Howdy..

This has to be a quicky.. I need to run... lol

Oops... I told you I was in a rush... It is the other way.. My mistake...lol

If you are changing the ECU, change to a 3 port. the plumbing is different. It is a standard Subaru item.

Speak to Bob/Branco about it.

Tara.

J.

ps - about 80-90 quid ?

[This message has been edited by firefox (edited 27-02-2000).]
Old 26 February 2000, 05:30 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

When the 2-port is bleeding away pressure from the actuator it is ALSO bleeding away pressure from the turbo.

the 3-port does not do this and at high rpm you want all the boost you can get with these smaller turbo's.
Old 27 February 2000, 10:10 AM
Possum Fink
Scooby Newbie

Question

So, earlier Scoobs have a two-port, later ones have three-port?

Is that right? I have an MY99 car (STi) and was advised to get a three-port boost solenoid when I upgraded to my mate Possum Link.

Possum Fink
Old 27 February 2000, 11:44 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

No Fink..other way around.

later cars have 2-port (99 on) all others have 3-port. I have been told that in Oz there was a massive recall of 99 cars to refit with a 3 port.

Having said all that I use a 2port with your mate Link and haven't had any troubles although I'm willing to accept that there may be advantages of switching over..
Old 27 February 2000, 01:44 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Lee,

Thanks for the explanation - I was curious about this also.

In practice, how much difference does this make to the boost curve (for want of a better phrase) ?

Do you loose 1 psi, 2 psi or does it manifest as a "dip" ?

Thanks

Gavin
Old 27 February 2000, 05:29 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

I don't know from personal experience so can only repeat what I've been told..

there is no real difference to the amount of boost, but it is more sensitive.

also because the 2port bleed boost away from the turbo as well as the actuator actual boost levels at high rpm fall. I don't see this as a problem since I (and most others mapping) will reduce the boost at the high rpm - so whether you control and reduce it, or it just reduces cos the pressure is being leaked away is 6 of one and half a dozen..