Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

SS Backbox Clearance Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2000, 05:49 PM
Jase Shipley
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I have traced a strange noise coming from my SS Backbox. It would appear that the silencer body is approx 5mm too long since it interferes with the rear anti-roll bar. This is undoubtedly transfering even more noise into the car! My car is a V5 WRX STI and from what I can see, all the mounting rubbers are OK.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? I think I may have to speak to Mr Pete Croney to discuss.
Old 06 February 2000, 07:04 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Jase,

Pete would be the best bet for first port of call regards this, the hand made nature of the boxes means that some differences do occur, it may just mean that the brackets were welded on a couple of mm out or some other oddity. I am sure he will be only to happy to help you out on this.
Old 06 February 2000, 07:41 PM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Is it definitely the anti-roll bar its hitting?
After fitting my SS backbox I could hear it hitting something whenever I went over a bump in the road. I thought originally that it was the anti-roll bar (as it seems to get quite close to it). Turns out it was hitting one of the rubber's brackets.
Take a look at
Old 06 February 2000, 07:43 PM
PaulL
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Is it definitely the anti-roll bar its hitting?
After fitting my SS backbox I could hear it hitting something whenever I went over a bump in the road. I thought originally that it was the anti-roll bar (as it seems to get quite close to it). Turns out it was hitting one of the rubber's brackets.
Take a look at
Old 06 February 2000, 08:38 PM
Jase Shipley
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Paul,

Thanks for the advice; however, I noticed that the exhaust silencer had actually come to rest on the rear anti roll bar! Nevertheless, I will also check to ensure that the metal stopper on exhaust stay is not fouling the car's mounting bracket too.

Jase.
Old 06 February 2000, 08:41 PM
firefox
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi guys...

The most common thing for the BB to hit is either the rear diff.. on the AR bar...

mine hit both...

Are you using a different mid section of down pipe ? These can push the BB back a little....

Chances are its the hanger that is slightly out...

Pete will be your best bet... give him a call... take a few measurements first, etc...

Cheers,

J.
Old 07 February 2000, 05:12 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys.

I've spoken to Jason and the problem has occured since his Falkland Performance Centre downpipe went on. The rubber hangers are all now pulled towards the front of the car and it seems that Falkland's pipe is too short.

I was also concerned that they haven't replaced any of the heat shields around the turbo and advised Jason to get these fitted when he goes back.