Front Limited Slip Diff.

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 1999, 05:14 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

Does anyone have a foolproof method of checking for the presence of a front LSD that doesnt entail stripping the unit down?
My car seems to behave as if it has a front LSD and I would like to know for sure.

I am sure the front LSD is an (expensive?) option on STI cars like my III V-Ltd.

Moray
Old 03 December 1999, 12:25 AM
WAYSIDERS
Scooby Regular

I don't know the answer, but Ollie Clark at Roger Clark Motorsport does. I think you are right about it being an expensive option and it's apparently easy to spot if fitted. Call him on 01455 828610. They are very helpful and do all my STi servicing.

ps this organisation VERY highly recommended for Scooby service work. ( Am I allowed to say that, Webmaster? )
Old 03 December 1999, 01:15 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Thanks Waysiders, spoke to the guy and he suggested an easy way to check.

Jack one front wheel up, if it turns freely then you probably have an open diff, much resistance points to an LSD.

Moray
Old 03 December 1999, 02:17 PM
Darren Soothill
Scooby Regular

Its not always as easy as that to tell as it depends on what type of differential it is if it is a viscous coupled one then you may not be able to turn the wheel fast enough for the fluid to start locking the plates together. Dont forget to leave the car in gear as well when you try that otherwise you will just be turning gearbox over.

You can buy a quaife torque biasing differntial for the front which is £525 so its not that expensive for a differential its just the effort of fitting it thats the problem!!!

Darren
Old 03 December 1999, 02:43 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

And for ****'s sake make sure the hand brake is on and the other three wheels wedged!

D.
Old 04 December 1999, 01:07 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Talking

Ta Guys,

It's a good job that I don't need any sharp tools for this one, they still don't let me use them without corks on the end!

Moray
Old 05 December 1999, 12:04 PM
AndyMc
Scooby Regular

Question

Moray

I could be wrong on this,but the info you got from the bloke at Roger Clark motorsport doesn't seem correct to me.
If my understanding is correct, if you have one front wheel off the ground and the car in gear you will not be able to rotate the wheel without rotating the engine,you will also rotate both the front and centre diffs.
If you do not have the car in gear you will be able to turn the wheel but again you will rotate both diffs so any resistance felt could come from either.
I think the correct way to check would be to have both front wheels in the air and to have the car in a low gear to stop the engine moving.This would stop the rear and centre diffs from rotating so any resistance felt when you turn one of the front wheels
would come from the front diff alone.
I hope you understand what I am trying to say (I'm not sure I do )

Perhaps Firefox could clarify

Andy