Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch hydraulic pump?

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 1999, 12:59 AM
Steve_B
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

My clucth adjustment suddenly changed the last time it was serviced (clutch fluid replaced) and has moved a lot nearer the top of travel.
However the first time I release the clutch, after starting or restarting the car I can hear a vvvvvhhhh noise...
I wonder if this is the pump operating but I suspect is faulty due the the noise of its operation ?
Old 18 November 1999, 09:25 AM
Alan
Scooby Regular

Question

Further to my previous posting and the advice I received, where is the hydraulic pump to compensate excessive freeplay.

My local subaru garage said it is "inside the clutch/gearbox" mechanism, and the whole lot has to come out. Is that right?

I'm sure my clutch cannot be worn, so I really need to get it adjusted.

Cheers

alan
Old 18 November 1999, 01:21 PM
JClark
Scooby Regular

Question

"Clutch hydraulic pump" ?????

S'cuse the ignorance (imported car, no handbook) but isn't the clutch simply a master cylinder to slave cylinder mechanism, or is there more to it than that?
Old 18 November 1999, 02:46 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmmmm... clutch travel problem ... interesting .. U need to remove the gearbox??? ..... NOPE..NOPE..NOPE

Ask Ur 'Expert' Mechanic to look under the dashboard at the clutch paddle .. there will be rod and shaft to be adjusted .. this is for the clutch travel play .. only can be done from inside the car...a very sexy position.

U better be there to try it .... okokokok

Let me know the outcome .... wat is there to adjust from the gearbox .. Bearing?? Yoke??
DO NOT REMOVE THE GEARBOX.

ADVICE - Get another mechanic to do it.

Old 18 November 1999, 08:16 PM
stv555
Scooby Regular

Question

Sorry to sound thick but I was in the trade for 15years and have seen and worked on all types of clutch mechanism, cable clutches require adjusting during the clutches life, hydraulic-operated clutches do not normally require adjustment except when a new master cylinder is fitted.

With hydraulic clutches wear in the plate is compensated for by the fluid in the system. The only symptom of the plate wearing is the bite shifts its position.

No pump is used !!!!!!!

Be careful not to adjust the pushrod at the pedal to compensate for plate wear since the Scooby uses a pull release mechanism and you could either push the slave cylinder piston out of its housing or drag the bearing out of the cover.

The possible reason why the fluid change may the bite feel different is that old fluid absorbs water and this can give the pedal a spongy feel, the fluid behaves slightly like a 'gas'. Fresh fluid should exhibit incompressibility and feel 'solid'.

Integrales (and other Lancias and Alfas) use a similar set-up.
Old 21 November 1999, 05:56 PM
DYNT
Scooby Regular

Wink

Alan - Check the clutch pedal free play and below is the correct free play for the padle.

Pedal Free Play : 5 - 15 mm

Pedal Height : 143 mm

Padle Full Stroke : 145 mm (RHD)
150 mm (LHD)

If the padle travel is out of spec .... get someone to fix it. Concerning the Clutch fluid .... stv555 is correct.

stv555 - Point taken ... u do need to adjust it if U change the clutch kit other then original.

Anyway .. the spec above comes from Fuji Heavy Industries Subaru WRX/STI workshop manual.

Cheers.