Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Clutch growl/vibration identified !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 1999, 12:47 AM
stv555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

After noticing this on my MY99, have read all postings and mentioned it to dealers.

Have carried out extensive test on the Highworth to Lambourn road (you must have tried this one Bob R) and have identified the noise.

Definitely clutch release bearing - when releasing the clutch and loading the engine (1/2 to 3/4 throttle with turbo coming on boost). It occurs during the transition when the cover becomes fully engaged and the load on the bearing is reducing to a minimum i.e bearing is in the rest position.

You can induce the noise (for diagnosis) by driving at 50 in 3rd or 4th, open the throttle gently as if to accelerate then slowly drop the clutch as if to make it slip. Just as the bearing starts to load up......
voila....you will hear the growl.

The noise is more alarming than anything else, since I have experience of a number of turbo vehicles in various states of tune and never experienced such a sound except on high mileage examples where the clutch assembly an bearing were in need of replacement.

In this case it appears that the bearing has slightly more running clearance than is needed or is insufficiently packed with lubricant - I have not handled one of these bearings but suspect if is of ball-bearing origins ???

Whatever it needs sorting and I will not be satisfied with a straight forward replacement unless I can be assured that problem has been pinpointed by Subaru and modified part has been issued.

Comments experiences please.......
Old 14 November 1999, 02:54 PM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Well, I've posted my thoughts abt this...it's still being investigated. However, I agree with STV555 as we share the same diagnosis. Any other results, pls post for all...thanx.
Old 14 November 1999, 04:10 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stv555, can you please ecplain to me what "baulking" is also?

On the clutch growl, well i have it and the dealer denies it!. Scottie had his release bearing changed and it made marginal difference....so what do we do?

Can we collectively contact IM?

Thanks
Old 14 November 1999, 06:17 PM
stv555
Scooby Regular

Sunlip

I think I tried to explain this on your previous thread.

Mine is going in on Tues. so I can take someone out for a drive, then leaving it with the dealer for the day for them to come up with a solution.

Funnily enough the service rep. seems to know a thing or two and did mention the release bearing. Additionally I have got the snatching 3rd and 5th, not majorly but I can detect it and can see it getting a whole lot worse.

The strange thing is it appears that Subaru are using a pull-type diaphragm/clutch which is good new since this allows much greater clamping load and negligible pedal pressure neede to operate it. Similar to Lancia turbos etc.

I definitely will not have the bearing replaced until I know the root cause and that the replacement will solve the problem. It seems that MY99 and MY00 are suffering this points to a batch problem.

I don't think the noise indicates anything as sinister as premature failure but it is a bit unnerving.

I am going to talk to an independant in the UK and one abroad for their views.

I need more feed back on this before planning a strategy.
Old 15 November 1999, 10:12 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi,

As Sunil says, had my bearing replaced under warranty. Noise is back, though, as bad as before.

Dealer says nothing obviously wrong with the 1000 mile old one he took off.

At the moment I'm subscribing to the damper spring school of thought, but they're not getting the car back until I find out more.

Subaru seem to know about some sort of problem though.

Scott.
Old 16 November 1999, 09:11 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Coolhand,

AFAIK, they just replaced the bearing.

Strange as it was a warranty claim at 1,000 miles!

Next time I'll make sure they replace everything.

Cheers

Scott.
Old 16 November 1999, 12:52 PM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

scottie, they removed the g/box just to replace the bearing? how abt the pressure plate n clutch disc? it should've been replaced as a whole...just to play safe n be sure.
Old 16 November 1999, 08:21 PM
coolhand
Scooby Regular

Scott, usually clutch replacement comes a whole set. But they also did us a favour by helping pinpoint the noise n vibration by replacing one by one. However, I'm just worried abt the strength of the bolts as frequent lossening n tightening may cause it to stretch n break.