Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Pinking and PE

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 1999, 01:10 PM
ROSS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Can someone please tell me what pinking sounds like? I have an STI 2 with a PE phase
1 remap and am now concerned after reading the latest posts..How would I know if the car had a problem I have a boost gauge , at present the boost does seem to fluctuate up and down under full power from low to high revs in fourth gear is this normal?The car also seems to "go" a lot better some days rather than others and no I do know about how the weather effects things it IS more than that.
I have been very pleased with the car and the cold start problem on mine is very minor ,I have only to turn it over a couple of times rather than just once as before to get it going ,the engine warning light thingy appears to light up on occasions but this is onlyoff boost after a blast.
I found Dave Power and crew helpful ,polite and profesional and have had no real problems
so far with them or their work and hope I am not alone here pehaps others with happy experiences could post , to redress what seems to be a rather one sided onslaught by a few who feel wronly or rightly agreived.
Old 16 November 1999, 12:58 PM
Colin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious pinking sounds like someone hitting the underside of the bonnet with a hammer - it's pretty loud and very noticeable. Mild pinking is more difficult to detect. As a DIY method, I actually use a stethoscope (don't laugh!) with a long tube attached to a piece of pipe bolted to the block. However by far the best method is to use the PE rollers and their Select Monitor set up to log the knock sensor(s). Not sure if it’s compatible with the STI 2 though.